How Do I get rid of Green Hair Algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by sollie7, Dec 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sollie7

sollie7 Millepora

ok I have one already

ill prob order some today and a phosphate reactor

2. Click Here!

3. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

I took all my rocks out of my tank and scrubbed them off. With in two weeks the hair algae came back 3 times worse. Now it's on the sand all the walls, I can clean the glass and the next day you barely seen into the tank. I don't know how my fish are still alive. I've never seen anything like this. I just set up a second tank for what's left of my dying corals. It's DI only, that I had to buy.

4. starfish2217

starfish2217 Horrid Stonefish

I haaaaate when my snails flip over!

5. fishyfinder

fishyfinder Teardrop Maxima Clam

My lawnmower blenny loves the stuff.

6. yvr

yvr Skunk Shrimp

Algae problems are usually caused by aquarium water with excess nutrients like phosphate, nitrates etc. In the long term you may have to examine how you care for your tank. There are some commercial dry foods also contain excess nutrients and other undesirable things like nitrates, phosphates etc so I strain/rinse my fresh/frozen foods before feeding my tank. You may want to consider feeding your fish less often. Also using RO/DI water and a high quality salt with little if any NO3, phosphates etc like Tropic Marin will really help too. Adding a phosphate remover, increasing flow in your tank, adjusting your tank's photo period or replacing old bulbs may help too.