How Do I get rid of Green Hair Algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by sollie7, Dec 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ynzheng

ynzheng Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

getting a yellow tang will simply do the trick and eat them all up... but that depends on your tank size...

2. Click Here!

3. sollie7

sollie7 Millepora

I don't think I could get one??

65Gal hex

1 O word Clown

1 Royal Gramma

1 Pink spotted goby

4. con999

con999 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

no the tanks need a long tank and i thought a hex is very long

5. shecter

shecter Fire Shrimp

my turbo snail goes right over it and wont touch it lol im battling it now and im getting an emerald crab to see if that works. yellow tangs eat it?

1 person likes this.
  6. sollie7

sollie7 Millepora

ill still try a couple

and im really close to jus pulling the trigger an getting a GFO reactor

I guess ill try manual removal and turbo snails first though

7. One Dumm Hikk

One Dumm Hikk Skunk Shrimp

Skip the phosphate testing. The hobby level phosphate test kits don't work properly. They only test for whats known as free phosphates (not bound to any other organics) and the free phosphates make up less than 1% of the phosphates in a tank. The second problem with them is by the time a test kit will show phosphates, the hair algae will already have let you know you had a phosphate issue. Save the money.

8. Click Here!

9. One Dumm Hikk

One Dumm Hikk Skunk Shrimp

And, be careful with trying to find something that will eat the hair algae. Tangs, lawnmower blennies, snails, and others will eat it. Just know that if they die in the tank, all that phosphate just gets released back into the tank. It also gets released back as fish poop. And even then, getting them to eat it seems to be a hit and miss. I had a lawnmower blenny that could strip 100 pounds of rock in 3 days or so but a friend had one that wouldn't touch HA.

You are going right trying to get it out, but also realize you have to limit your input of phosphates. The food you feed (especially dry food) is saturated in Phosphates as a preservative. Try checking the contents of the food you are feeding and try to determine what the source of your phosphates are, then start limiting it. Typically, its the food you feed but the other two main sources for them are sandbeds and live rock that get saturated with phosphates over time and then it starts leaching back into the water column.

1 person likes this.
  10. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i had green hair algae out break about 3 months after starting the tank. i added a protein skimmer and used bio fuel by brightwell and with in 5 days the hair algae was almost gone. what i didnt pull by hand just turned a brownish color and fell off the rocks

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  11. sollie7

sollie7 Millepora

well sounds like I needa buy a reactor

there goes some Christmas money ;D ill prob jus go ahead an order it today

im feeding rinsed frozen mysis and formula one soaked in garlic while thawing

and ill look that stuff up pink4miss

karma to everyone

12. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

you have to use a skimmer with the bio fuel. i can tell you the skim is much darker when i have used the bio fuel.