How do I cycle my tank?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Little Shrimp, Jan 3, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Sounds like youre basically good to go. I wouldnt use any bacteria in a bottle things waste of money IME. If you dont want to spend the cash on liverock I strongly suggest buying some dryrock and letting it convert to liverock, a lot cheaper and no bad hitchhikers! I second the API kit you test ammonia and nitrite really only during a cycle and once in a blue moon thereafter so wasting money on an expensive ammonia or nitrite kit is pointless. Also your pH will fluctuate all the time in the beginning so you will be testing way more frequently than you will in the future.

2. Click Here!

3. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

i dont know about the other brands but i can vouch 100% for dr tims one and only....we had a tank cycling ammonia was at 4, nitrites hadnt started yet and 0 nitrates and we put in the dr tims stuff and within 6 hours it was reading ammonia 0 nitrites 0 and nitrates 10-10ppm granted dr tims isnt just a regular bacteria booster but the stuff does work wonders

4. link248

link248 Ritteri Anemone

I disagree with bottle bacteria being a waste of money. After alot of research I did my own test with Dr. Tim's one and only. I even did a build thread on here for my 29 gallon biocube using it.

I let the tank run for a week to get my salinity, PH and temp right. Then I added the one and only, 5 minutes later I put in a pair of clownfish.

As time went on, I posted my ammonia, nitrate and nitrite readings in my thread. Not much of a spike in either.

Now 5 months later, I have a healthy reef and still have the same clowns I started with.

I have videos on my thread from start till now.

5. link248

link248 Ritteri Anemone