How do calcium reactors automatically keep up with coral growth?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Matt Rogers, Oct 2, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. salt4me

salt4me Skunk Shrimp

Its all about stability correct? All i was saying is that a reactor keeps a system more stable. Wasnt saying anything bad about dosing. And as far as comparing them there is a ton of sites that compare price and benifits. So its more like comparing Red delicious to Granny smith apples. And yes drip rate is based on demand.

2. Click Here!

3. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

If that was a response to me... it's all good. I think we are saying the same thing.

For the record.... I've never belived 2 part to be "superior" to reactors. I think both have their benefits and I probably would have turned out to be the same as most other folks that at some point I would have tried a reactor out. What I don't like is that there are some pro reactor folks that love to report how reactors are so superior to 2 part. *** Not at all saying you or anyone in this thread has done that ***. But invariably one of the "pros" thrown out is how reactors "automatically" regulate to changes in demand. And yes, that would be a pretty substantial benefit over other ways. So when this thread brought up the point it was an important one to discuss and the thread has been good info.... some of it supplied by our resident Chemist Dingo.;)

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Please don't turn this into a dosing vs reactor thread sir :) - we have a very long one on that - this is about balancing a reactor. Thanks

matt

5. ionlifeionizer

ionlifeionizer Plankton

A calcium reactor will cost you around 500-550 dollars for a basic installation. B-ionic will supply the demand's of the tank, you will just have to add more and more often as the demand's of the tank become greater.

6. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I think I have a pretty good idea how the PH effects the calcium and alk. But what about the media. Do all medias provide Calcium and Alkalinity in the same proportions? (kind of a sidetracked question, but if so, is that the same balance found in Kalk and 2part?)

I have heard a lot of people having to dose alk or calc due to them not being consumed in balance. (I use way more alk 2part than calc)

7. lionfish77

lionfish77 Flamingo Tongue

Matter how they work I looked at getting one and it would've cost more than half my setup.

8. Click Here!

9. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

I'm still not sure the core laymans question has been responded to.

One of the following statements should be closest to the truth:

1. A reactor needs to be adjusted with each increase or decrease in demand.

2. Once a reactor is set correctly, it needs no adjustment and will self regulate regardless of changing demand, though minor adjustments to keep it callibrated may be necessary.

3. A reactor needs to be adjusted to account for demand, but it is in an equilibrium so only significant changes in demand require adjustment.

If there is another statement that is closer, please add it. Otherwise, please point to the most correct one.

10. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I believe 3 to be the most correct. You absolutely do have to make changes to compensate demand, but not constant adjustments. It seems to have a small level of self correction dependent on demand.

11. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Now that it's been a while, I can answer my own question. They do all dose levels at the same proportions, but there are many processes outside of just calcification that can affect alk and cal levels causing them to be out of sync. In my case it was my algae scrubber which started to consume alk when it became starved of Co2.

12. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Post #25 pretty much sums it up.
    But the reaction is a dynamic kinetic system which means that it will automatically adjust itself within reason until a limit (determined by the water conditions) is reached. At this time the user will make a minute tweak to flow rate, or amount of CO2 added, or internal pH to move the equilibrium back to "normal".