How come I'm still having this algae problem still?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by reefchaos, Jun 25, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefchaos

reefchaos Flamingo Tongue

Nitrate is 0 phosphate is 0. Wat da heck man! I thought algae only feeds on these two. What other thing that I needs to survive in a tank? I would turn off my lights buy my corals need it. Don't make any sense! Can silica feed algae also? I doubt I have any silcia in my tank because I use my local petstore R/O water. Grrrrrr.. Its an never ending battle with algae...Who has a grenade? Ima throw it in my tank.. THe algae is so annoying.

2. Click Here!

3. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

beautiful zoas in your avatar. How often are you feeding. Alot of times phosphates and nitrates will be bound up by the algae causing a false reading. What kind of skimmer do you have??

4. lotzofish

lotzofish Fire Worm

A little more info would probably be useful such as: what kind of algae, how long have you had it, what kind of lighting do you have, how much flow do you have, how much sand (and liverock), etc.. :)

However, I will make an attempt to answer your question without knowing any details. Many times algae will consume nitrates and phosphates faster than the rate that it occurs in the water column. Essentially you still have the nitrates and phospahtes, but the algae is using them before they could show up on your test kit. Yes, diatoms (powdery brown algae) does feed on silicates, and it is possible for silicates to make it past an RO filter. What steps have you taken to get rid of the algae?

5. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

U could get away with ur lights off for 3 days that works for me every time its just like a cloudy storm in the wild also i would try to skim overtime while the lights are out with a 10% wc