How can I feed a 28g nano for a week vacation?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by TheSurgeonSween, Aug 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TheSurgeonSween

TheSurgeonSween Fire Shrimp

I have a 28g nano reef tank with a cleaner shrimp, clownfish, fire fish, yellow watchman goby & pistol shrimp and a decent amount of corals. I feed my fish about every other day with some pellet food and occasionally mysis.

My question is how will I be able to feed them over my vacation, I leave Aug 11 and get back the 18. I have heard of dissolvable fish food but will that be too much for my tank size?

2. Click Here!

3. zackscott20

zackscott20 Fire Shrimp

I'm not sure about that stuff.. could you have someone feed it for you? also make sure evaporation won't be an issue!

4. TheSurgeonSween

no nobody can feed for me :( I actually just bought the jbj ATO a few days ago!

5. zackscott20

zackscott20 Fire Shrimp

good! and I would usually feed them very well before i head off for 5 days... I'm not sure about 7 though... Are your fish hardy? I know my clowns can go more than a week without eating, but I'm not sure about your fish?

6. TheSurgeonSween

IM not sure Ive never had problems with my fish eating. Ive been 3 days without feeding them and then ive fed them everyday and a lot in one serving.

7. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

In my experience, your fish will not starve if you do not feed them for a week
    in fact you might come home to a slightly cleaner aquarium in that fish will browse for anything remotely edible

feed them a bit more for 2 or 3 days before going away, and they will be fine for the week IME

Steve

8. Click Here!

9. TheSurgeonSween

Ok awesome thank you. I was even thinking of adding some copepods to my tank before I left aha

10. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

No offence or anything here, but do you not have neighbours?

11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Automatic feeders are an option. You can control the amount of dry food to add and when it is added.

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Your fish will be fine during that time without feedings.

Perhaps consider adding anyone of the type of pod you can buy and introduce them just prior to your departure.

I never make changes to my tank prior to a vacation, too many things go wrong when you're not there to monitor. Murphy's Law.

1 person likes this.