How about this for Biocube 29g Lighting Upgrade?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Cheezefrog, Dec 27, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Cheezefrog

Cheezefrog Astrea Snail

Biocube 29 Gallon LED retrofit kit

I'm thinking about biting the bullet on it...I can easily solder so I didn't know essentially how big of a pain it is to put this together, or if its really worth the extra +$50.

I'm seeing temps at a peak of 81 degrees in my tank with the stock ballast and its starting to get annoying...these leds will drastically cut back on heat right? Are they any wonky mods you have to do to install this in the ballast?

I'm also open to recommendations for it, I kind of want a system to run anything, but only if its adequate in a small nano tank.

I did modify my stock Coralife ballast cover, is there a place minus the manufacture(because they never answer there phone) that I can order a blank replacement?

2. Click Here!

3. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

Talk to Biocube (chris) about his RapidLEDs he installed for his cube. :)

4. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

+1

Biocube would be the person to ask ;)

5. Cheezefrog

Cheezefrog Astrea Snail

thanks

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  6. Jake1

Jake1 Astrea Snail

You can always get a 120w led off eBay and take the hood off your tank. Might also help control the heat a little witch wouldn't be much if you went to led anyways

7. Cheezefrog

Cheezefrog Astrea Snail

I was going to run an open Halo ballast but Its in a movie room with a projector so I absolutely can't do anything open due to glare constraints...

The LED's I'm starting to really dive into I've used halogen since the beginning but in this case essentially for a nano tank I really am becoming quite found of them.

8. Click Here!

9. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

I believe rapidLED has a system that plugs right into where the stock lights go. However theres a T5 4 bulb system called Eco Mini, that fits on the 14 and 29, which i'm looking at for my 14 to replace my rapidLED par38 bulb.

Edit: NVM saw you don't wanna take off the top part.

10. Cheezefrog

Cheezefrog Astrea Snail

I looked over Biocubes thread, his LED setups alright, but even after looking on RapidLED's site, only the retro fit kits are only modifiable in the Oceanic tanks...I've got the coralife, not that really much would be needed to make it fit in either brand i'd imagine. I really do exclusively want something that I can just throw in. Especially @ the rate the kit costs and other accessories for LED's; brutal.

11. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Thanks guys for the call outs :)

If you don't want to do DIY then buy an AI Sol, gut the hood and call it a day.

12. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

I just noticed you posted a link for Steve's LEDs retro kit, I personally went for Rapids kit "as you know" and love it. Iv done a lot of modifying "added more colors" and tweaking to make it better. If you still want to go DIY I'd look into Rapid still. They use CREE LEDs and their heatsink is a large block vs Steve's are two square aluminum channels that don't have a lot of room for adding more LEDs (colors) to create a better spectrum for SPS.