Horrible Algae Problems

Discussion in 'Algae' started by iceman, Feb 2, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tharsis

tharsis Peppermint Shrimp

You didn't mention anything about your filtration in your posts. Do you have a sump or a HOB? Is there a way you can add some chaeto to your system (in the HOB/sump/even in your tank) to help with nitrates and phosphates?

2. Click Here!

3. texanjordan

texanjordan Peppermint Shrimp

Lettuce Eating Nudibranch. They eat hair algae. Also so does a lawnmower blenny. Be careful with the Nudibranch if they die and you dont see it die, it can poison your whole tank.

4. zoo 4 life

zoo 4 life Coral Banded Shrimp

Get a sea hare, they are hair algae munchers!

Also turn all lights off for 3 days, if your tank is near a window or a glass door, cover your tank with a dark sheet or towel.

Do a 20% water change

+1 on the RODI, solves a lot of problems in the long run!

5. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

I still think it's cyano.....but everyone's advice is true for both types of nuisance algae/ bacteria. Good husbandry WILL pay off in the end. I just won a battle with cyano 4 months in the making. I cut back on my food, increased flow, decreased light, scooped it out. I was using RODI water. It wasn't until I kept a good habit of doing each one of these things every week consistently that I started to see a difference. I'm down to this week where I can only see a mere trace of what was cyano and it's going away with tomorrows water change. I think the biggest difference I saw was when I switched to Spirulina flake (which I swore I'd never use flake) and saw that everyone was gobbling it up faster than I could put it in. Now there's never any leftover food like when I was dropping pellets, and frozen. I still feed with cyclopeze, but now I can feed more generously because there's nothing left over.

6. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I have an ro/do unit but a friend of mine who just started his tank didn't so I offered to make water for him-put an wanted add up here and at other forums for RO/DI WATER. You could barter/trade services whatever. You'd be surprised how many reefers are willing to help :) other wise for a temp fix you could try the API DI TAP FILTER found at MarineDepot. $42.00 I used one for about 2yrs for my 8g.

7. iceman

iceman Fire Worm

No i definetly no its not cyano i concord that pain before this is green and an inch to an inch and a half long.

8. Click Here!

9. iceman

iceman Fire Worm

see this is three days after i did a total scrub down of every thing

Attached Files:

10. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

Well, the first photo is kind of a darker green algae, which at first sight makes me think of Bryopsis. I'm not an expert on what this particular algae looks like, but I sincerely hope this is not your ailment....the second two pics are solely in need of a hungry turbo snail. Throw one of those guys in there and you won't have any more GHA to be seen. I hope some of the more experienced nuisance algae reefers can jump in with an answer for your first photo though.

11. iceman

iceman Fire Worm

Would you use stress coat in distiled water.

12. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid