Horrible Algae Problems

Discussion in 'Algae' started by iceman, Feb 2, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tharsis

tharsis Peppermint Shrimp

You can buy RO water from grocery stores for ~65 cents a gallon but that isn't as good as DI. You can also buy DI water from walmart etc which is pretty good but it costs around 80 cents per gallon.

Getting an RODI filter is a much better investment.

2. Click Here!

3. iceman

iceman Fire Worm

how much is LFS RO/DI water usually run. i cant get one because im 16 and if my mom says no it means NO!

4. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

Iceman, what kinds of food and how much of each do you feed at a time? I only ask because fish really need a portion of what we think they do. With only those 3 fish the tank would need very little food, I bet you are overfeeding without knowing it.

You have definitely came to the right place for help. This is by far the best forum I have found.

Jake

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

lol gotchya, i think LFS water is like $.25 a gallon! But I'd be doing some chores, or shoveling some snow to get one! Will make your life a TON easier! good luck to ya!

6. tharsis

you can explain to her that in the long run you will save alot more money with an RODI fliter because you wont have to buy good water every week. 10 gallons/week of good water will be around 8 bucks...32$ a month. A good RODI filter is around $150 bucks so it will have paid for itself in 5 months.

1 person likes this.
  7. iceman

iceman Fire Worm

Exactly my point try telling them that. 6 months ago.

8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

start looking on craigslist or what we call a 'bulletin board" not suree if they go that far down, but a local paper that just has stuff for sale! Should be able to pick one up used cheap! Tell her you'll clean the house or her car to pay it off! lol

10. tharsis

ah so she wont listen to reason!

I would do what it takes to get one. Sell some stuff, sell your services do what you gotta do to get one. It WILL make a world of difference.

11. iceman

iceman Fire Worm

So what should i use distild water

12. tharsis

Yes, you can buy distilled water in gallon jugs from the grocery store/walmart that are good. Some stores will also have RO water stations where you can fill up large containers which can be good. The problem is that most of the units are only RO not RO/DI so they will have higher TDS values. The other issue is that they may not be maintained as often as they should so the filters may need replacement which results in higher TDS values.

It really depends what is available in your town and how much water you plan on using every week. If you are doing %10 weekly water changes you will be hauling a butt load of water so individual gallon jugs can be a pain and not very environmentally sound.

Do you have an LFS nearby? Your best bet would be to bring a couple 5 gallon buckets to the shop and get those filled up.

If not I would look into seeing what stores have RO fill up stations. What you get from those machines will still be better than the tap water you are using.

Good luck!