Horrible Algae Problems

Discussion in 'Algae' started by iceman, Feb 2, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. iceman

iceman Fire Worm

Help!! I can't get rid of my hair algae. I have taken my live rock out and scrubbed them with a brush. I have cut down on my lights and have even left them off. The algae still grows. I have done several water changes and the water quality still won't improve.

2. Click Here!

3. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

What source of water are you using?

4. vawdka

vawdka Coral Banded Shrimp

Do you have any sort of a clean up crew in the tank? Also do you use ro/di water or tap water? You try to cut back on feedings? Do you have any macro algae that you keep on purpose like chaeto? I mean in a pinch I've used distilled water just make sure is says reverse osmosis on the jug at least. Even the Walmart great value is.

5. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

First off, sloooowwwwwwww it down......It would be impossible for any of us to break down your exact circumstance just by the saying that you have algae in your tank. We ALL have algae in our tanks. That's the idea after all.

That being said, what kind of tank do you have? Size, shape, type of filtering media, lighting, amount of live rock/ live sand? How long has your tank been up and running? What type of, and how many fish do you have? What are your water parameters? We'll give you perfect advice if you supply us with exact details. It's that simple. ;D

6. iceman

iceman Fire Worm

I have a 75 gallon tank. It has been running for 2 years. I have cut back on the light, sometimes it is not on at all. I am using conditioned tap water. {the water in all town is very good} I have 75-80 pounds of live rock. I can leave for work without algae and a few hours you can tell the difference. The PH is 8.0-8.1 ammon. between 0-.25 ppm, nitrite-0, Nitrate 0-5 ppm and the calcium is high. There is a small clean up crew. I feed small portions everyday or a tad larger every other day. Any more suggestions?

7. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

What types of fish, and how many, are in there?

You shouldn't ever have ammonia, so I worry you are overstocked, or your filtering method isn't doing its job.

My number 1 recommendation for hair algae - turbo snails (but don't over do it, as they eat a lot and can starve when food runs out)!! I had one rock that had persistent hair algae. I threw in some turbo snails and the hair algae was gone in 10 minutes. NO JOKE. And with good water, new bulbs that don't stay on too long, etc. there is not a strand of hair algae in the tank.

8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

There ya go, ya can't use tap water! prob 90% of your prob! RODI time!

10. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

You should never use tap water unless running it through a RODI filter. Sorry but even though it's conditioned for things like chlorine, you're still probably adding other nutrients like iron or phosphates. Conditioned tap is great for planted FW aquariums!!! But I don't think many people would recommend using it for reef tanks! :-( Try going to a local organic grocery store and fill up a 5gal bucket or jug for around 30-40cents per gal! Usually costs me 1.99 every two weeks to get more freshwater for top offs! I always get Distilled Osmosis, but that's as close as I can get to truly pure water.

11. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

Well, you gotta consider he's in West Virginia. Good possibility that's pure mountain water being used there and not city water. Although the conditioning worries me. ( No need to condition spring water) But, Cosmo has a good point. If there's any phosphates or contaminates in the tap H2O then that's always a possibility. A 75g is a good size tank that can hold a relative amount of fish, so long there's a suitable sump to expand the system size and filtration. RODI water is the suitable choice for many enthusiasts.

Question though, ..... Since you mentioned using conditioner, do you have to turn your skimmer off while it runs through your system, or have you opted out of the skimming method...... I've found that a considerable amount of excess nutrients can be carried away with the use of a protein skimmer.

One other thing, you've had this tank for 2 years now. Has this been an ongoing occurrence with GHA, or is it something completely out of the norn for your system, and if so, what has been added or removed before you first saw the algae taking over?

12. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

And one other thing......Can you take a photo of it and post here? That'd help a whole lot. By the sound of things and how fast it comes and goes, I'd almost say you had cyanobacteria, but a Pic would solve all my questions.