Homemade Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Additive System....MUST READ.

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by clownfish, Oct 23, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

By Drip I meant with Kalk you typically mix a bucket with kalk and rig some sort of drip system to add it to the tank.

I run both my CA Reactor and Kalk other wise I can not maintain my Alk to a level I like. My CA Reactor is under rated for my water volume so I took advantage of this and went with a kalk reactor instead of upgrading my CA reactor.

J

2. Click Here!

3. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

Ohh! I forgot you had a monster tank loaded with sps :eek:. I bought the knop c reactor and cosidering i only have a 90 gallon I think I should be fine. Thanks for the explanation.

4. clownfish

clownfish Skunk Shrimp

Yeah....I know...I should've posted "NUDES!! NUDES!!! NUDES!!!" on the post title....;D

Anyway, by all means, you guys go ahead and keep writting about this stuff, I'm new at the whole salt hobby, so I'm learning as I read.

5. crappyballer

crappyballer Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

at least it was pertinent to calcium/alkalinity dosing

6. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

NUDES NUDES NUDES would have likely got the site shut down again :) jk

J

7. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

so...you mix this stuff(like mrs wages 2Tablespoons to a gallon) and drip it in constantly? I could do air line tubing like when acclimating and just let it drip drip drip?? Make up 5 gallons at a time? This would keep the level in my tank consistent all the time, but is that too much kalk going in, or is this the way it should be done?

8. Click Here!

9. cuttingras

I'm setting this up now and never got an answer....anyone care to enlighten me?

10. Marlin65

Marlin65 Astrea Snail

Put it in at night if you can unless you run a reverse light cycle on your fuge then it does not mather.
    If you add too much your PH will spike so start slow and test. Don't add too much at ones. Remember CA Alk and PH are all tied together and adding one will affect the others. You should keep an eye on all three and adjust all slowly until you get the right balance.
    Hope that helps a bit.

1 person likes this.
  11. cuttingras

I've done two times now and the tank is very clear and my levels are all great thanks for the reply, Marlin65. I pm'd Tangster, he cleared up a lot of questions I had.

12. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I never ran any reactor any larger one of the best I think.. I have had the larger reactor and smaller .. The size f the reactor make's little difference in how much effulient that you get or can get from it.. That is all controlled by the effulient rate in ozs per hr and the level of the PH in the reactor.. And if you ever need a larger reactor just put the effulient outlet line into a container with the reactor media and that will double the size..

All the larger reactors allow for is less often recharging . But My Knoop C
    will run this tank about 5 months between recharges and I also use a passive Kalk container to pass all my make up water. But I can dissolve as much carbonate media as needed via bubble count or lowering the controllers set point.. And I burn through about 1 lb of media in my off gasser they cup full of media that the effulient is run through that also keeps the P.H up and lets more CO'2 escape. A little reactor will do what a large reactor can . I have made 4. inch add on chambers from acrylic to get the same results as a huge skimmer also.. But size of the reactor itself has little or no effect on how much Ca and Carbonates that will added to the system..

Another trick is to add a cup or so of Dolomite to the reactor to boost more magnesium .. to the out put.. With some cylinders size does matter but not this one :)