Holy Copepod!

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by totter0817, Feb 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. totter0817

totter0817 Purple Spiny Lobster

Ok, so watching Dirty Jobs right now, I love Mike Rowe by the way, anyways, they are checking out these sharks that are rarely studied- i believe in the antartic. Well they caught one, pulled it out of water- the shark was probably 8 feet long. Anyways Mike noticed something on the eye of the shark, the researcher said it was some kind of copepod- i cant exactly remember what she said. It was atleast 2 inches long!!! Imagine how happy some mandarins would be with pods that big!!!

Just thought it was interesting. Havent been paying attention much to the show because I was on here, but that caught my attention. Im sure you could go to the discovery channel to look up the episode. Very interesting

2. Click Here!

3. trelane

trelane Peppermint Shrimp

such a pod would haunt my nightmares!

4. cannedmulder

cannedmulder Teardrop Maxima Clam

I also saw the show aos and they were looking for the Greenland Shark. The only arctic shark that lives its whole life in the arctic. Not much is known about it because it is too damn cold there to study it. It was about a 2" "cocopod" is what the lady called it. I am not an eye person but it was gross to anyone! It was buried in the cornea of the shark and they didn't want to pull it out!

5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

6. cannedmulder

cannedmulder Teardrop Maxima Clam

The one in the eye didn't look quite like that! It was more flacid. Looked more like a worm but I didn't stare too long at it!!

7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Yeah some look strange. That one was evil so I chose it ;) It's not unusual to see them every now and again while fishing. I used to see them on striped bass.

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Yeah that thing was freaky. What bothered me more was that they had to kill the shark to study it. Supposedly, it would have died anyway but not if they had left it the hell alone :D