HOB Overflow Vs Drilling

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by leighton1245, Jan 15, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

What are the good and bad aspects of both? They both cost about the same for aprox 1300gph flow rate. Just didnt know if anyone though it would be smarter to just drill my tank.

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

drilling: can break tank during drilling process.

overflow box: can break siphon and overflow the tank all over the floor.

overflow box makers recommend you get a drilled tank, I think that says it all.

4. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

Drilled tank overflows look nicer.

HOB overflows can be added to a running tank.

5. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

A hangon overflow breaking siphon does not happen when used properly. I have used one on a tank for 9 months as well as knowing others whom have never had an issue either. Unless when you start the siphon and there is air in the utube, the siphon will never break.

I would go with drilling over a hang on because i dont like the look of the utube on the back of the tank.

6. leighton1245

My tank is already up and running but sounds like drilling is really the only way to go.

7. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

I too have used a hob over flow with u tube, also I have one now with u shaped acrylic bend.

Whether or not it breaks siphon has to do with the speed of the siphon. If your pump gets clogged and slows down, air bubbles can build up in the top of the u-tube and break siphon. It only has to happen once to really screw stuff up, burning out pumps in your sump and destroying your floor if you don't catch it in time.

if you have the option you should get a drilled tank. HOB overflows are for people that have already set up their tank and then decided they wanted a overflow and can't take the tank apart.

8. Click Here!

9. damon

damon Sea Dragon

why happier with a drilled tank over a hob overflow, for many different reasons. Noise being high on that list.

10. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

Let a snail crawl in that u-tube and see what happens...I had it happen in my pred tank....quickly learned to custom make a snail block out of eggcrate....good thing I had laminate wood floors...

11. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

All my tanks are drilled & was caught in the same problem with I built my 29gal frag, when making my decision. Just one thing no one has asked? How big is your tank? Anything over 40gal tend to have tempered glass bottoms, which can NOT be drilled!! Also depending on tank mfg & to whom it was supplied to, a tank under 40gal may still have a tempered bottom. Rule of thumb, if it was part of a aquarium kit "example purchased at Walmart" Walmart specs that all their tanks have tempered bottoms.

If you are not sure, I'd call the Mfg. Last thing you need it to shatter your tank..

12. leighton1245

I have a 75gal perfecto tank so im sure that it has a tempered bottom so I will be drilling the top it sounds like. I have a 30 gallon wet/dry filter that I will be converting into a fuge. Possibly buying a 29gallon tank so that I can keep the wet/dry filter and run it into the 29gal into that make it a seperate fuge. :) thank you for all the advice.