HOB Overflow Standpipes help!

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by diverdan, Apr 16, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

I will definitely check out his video. Drilling at this point is going to be a pita for you. but at least it's acrylic and not glass so if you ever need to do mods it's not the end of the world.

2. Click Here!

3. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Sorry for the late reply...

You don't have to match them at all, they each just need to drain properly.

4. chealy

chealy Spaghetti Worm

The aqua lifter pump will make sure you don't lose siphon if air bubbles are getting into the u tube.

5. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Hi RC,

Nice overflow. I actually have never seen your thread on this until now!

Mine is similar,, actually 'hangs' on the back by 2 90's, the one in the upper loop on the siphon, and one I put on the vent side.
    Mike I think is also much bigger- higher flow- and still has lots to spare.
    MIne also has over 20inches of waterline to skim from of the top, much like a RR tanks overflow.

Here's my link to it:
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/i-made/non-drilled-tank-alternatives-my-diy-overflow-140523.html

6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Dan,

I'm glad you're getting things worked out with your OF's.

But with all due respect, I'm at a loss what you would have to cut on top of our tank to tun a system like mine? Oh- Now I think you mean cutting the TOP of your tank to fit the larger U tube?

I think you'll get yours dialed in soon, then no worries!

7. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

thanks for the credit but it's actually a design that I found online by luck after hours of searching since I made the mistake and established my tank before doing a sump :-(. never making that mistake again. I only modded mine a little by removing the primer air line and not having one period. I like your design better though since it has that elbow as the pickup and looks a lot neater. The way I prime mine is by sticking my water changer in the dorsal stand pipe and creating a seal with my hand. I also make sure my outlet valve is closed and put the sink to full blast to start the suction. When I start getting water out the line I open the valve and it works like a champ. Haven't lost siphon yet lol. I am definitely going with your design for my girlfriends turtle tank that I want to add a sump to because those things are a mess ugh.

8. Click Here!

9. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366332437.230561.jpg
    Yes Todd. I would just have to cut the top as you can see in the picture. Wouldn't be that big of a problem. Drain some water out, put something under to catch the debris from cutting and there you go. I would never want to drill the back with any water in it. Newtons law would come into play for me that's for sure.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366332461.882191.jpg
    Took Greg's advise and drilled some holes. Man is this thing flowing great now. I am not getting any siphon or gurgling. I added the air hose to quiet the air flow but am I super stoked that this worked.
    Thank you all for troubleshooting this with me. Very much appreciated!

10. diverdan

Now that I've got one thing fixed, there's another. Now that the overflow is running great (thanks everyone) the sump is bubbling where the water enters. It should be an easy fix and all I have to do is cut the pipes even with the water line in the sump. It's just really loud and starting to get annoying. It's fairly consistent now that I have a consistent flow from the tank. At least the overflow is running great and I'm not worried about it.

11. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Dan. I definitely have a fix for that for ya!

Look up 'reverse durso' on google. Lots of designs, etc. when my sump was in my stand, the return to the sump was loud, etc.
    I researched a bit, and built one that worked awesome quiet

It's basi ally an upside y pipe, with a cap with holes in the top.
    Make it larger diameter than the return to sump pipe as you can, it disperses bubbles/ noise better.

No kidding check it out- there are pictures and everything. I think I even made a thread in mine!

12. diverdan

Thanks Todd. I will definitely give that a try. I just checked them out and I think I already have all the plumbing for it. The theory is there so i dont see why it won't work. I actually had a similar one on before I redid all the plumbing to fix the fluctuating water. (Plumbing wasn't the problem.) thanks for the tip. Will try and update you. Thanks again.