HOB Overflow Standpipes help!

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by diverdan, Apr 16, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

Yea I do.

Yes the caps and the air hoses work to keep the standpipes from gurgling. They work really good and are virtually silent. I guess I have just been having a hard time dialing them in. I will keep messing with them until I get it right. So far they have been working good since I did what AZdesertrat said about the airline being at the waterline in the overflow. Lets just hope this is solves the problem.

It has just gotten very frustrating trying to get them dialed in.

2. Click Here!

3. diverdan

No I haven't, I can try that. I got them second had when I bought the overflow. I think the previous owner had glued the caps on. I will try tonight to see if they can be removed.

4. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

I don't know why the level of the airline in the cap makes such a difference but it really changes things when you play with the immersion depth.

5. diverdan

It really is crazy how just little movements of different parts on a standpipe can make or break it. Just a slight offset will throw everything out of whack.

AZ, what height do you have your outer shroud?
    What I'm experiencing right now I'd that one standpipe is really pulling water and the other is just working. If I listen to both the air vents one is sucking air like crazy and the other one is just venting. If that makes any sense.
    I don't known if its just another tuning problem or not.
    How big are the holes in your drain. Mine had 4 5/8" holes in each standpipe.

6. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

It actually sounds like maybe there isn't ENUFF venting.

What I do is stand behind the tank with a 3/16" drill in hand. I add the first hole in each SP and watch/listen. If it seems to want adjusting, I use my finger to partially cover the hole, if it gets better, I valve it, if not, I drill a second hole and repeat the process until I'm happy with the results.

I have standpipes with 3 or 4 holes in them, with no valves...

7. diverdan

Greg, now that I'm thinking about it, that sounds like it could be it.
    Let me ask you, if one of them doesn't have enough air and the other one is fine, should I drill them both just to keep them the same. Since I have 2 standpipes in my OF Box.
    Thank you.

8. Click Here!

9. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

I have the original design modified Stockman so it does not have drilled holes in the vertical pipe. The modified bushing and coupling sit on the top of the standpipe. Ken modified his design after I had built mine from his original and I never saw any reason to change it. I have tried the Maggie Mufflers in place of the Stockman and they are almost identical to my Stockman design except I found the drilled hole in the cap to be too small and restrictive so I drilled them out and inserted the airline tube in them also. I found no difference in either flow or sound between the two once I drilled the Maggies out. Before drilling the Maggie though I was disappointed in them.

10. diverdan

Thanks AZ. If all else fails I can try the MM and drill out and add an airline.

I was thinking about modifying what I have. Each standpipe is set up to be used as a Hofer Gurgle Buster but never liked it and had a harder time workin with that. Each standpipe has 4 holes and I believe that it's not enough flow for it.
    I plan to take another pipe and cut the square hole that is recommended and also be ready to drill several holes in the cap.
    Everything is good now and I am tired so I will do this tomorrow.

11. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

This is the one that I built for my tank and it's awesome. never have to restart siphon at all unless you remove the setup. http://www.evillabs.net/wiki/index.php/Super_Sucking_Siphon

Also if you have one of those water change hoses that attach to the sink. you can start the siphon by sticking that tube in the dorsal pipe until you pull water out. you just need to cover the exit side of the line. I installed a PVC valve there for that.

1 person likes this.
  12. diverdan

Thank you, I believe this is like Todd's overflow. Or at least a similar concept. I like it and would like something like that. If I have no other alternative I can do thi. I would just have to cut the top of my tank. It's an acrylic and the holes on top are not set up for something like this. If you have seen Todd's overflow video it is done very well and very inspiring. Makes me want to ditch my hob overflow box so bad. BUT.... I already have it and if I can make it work I will do what I can do.
    Unfortunately when i set up this system I did not drill the tank. Really wish I had about now.