HOB fuge

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by zcparrott, Sep 3, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. zcparrott

zcparrott Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hello everyone,

So, I have a penguin 350 that I used with a freshwater aquarium that I am thinking of converting into a HOB fuge. I have read a few threads of people who have done this, but they were incomplete and didn't say how successful they were. Has anyone on here done one that was successful?

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I've never done it myself, but I'll bump your question with this: I believe the main consensus is that every little bit helps. However, I doubt such a small fuge would rectify any serious nutrient problems. You'd probably get better results from a media bag of GAC hanging in it (what I do have :)).

4. zcparrott

When I set up my tank I had no idea what I was doing and bought a wet/dry filter and am now regretting it and wishing I had opted for a refugium. Eventually I want to turn my wet dry into a refugium, but I figured this was something I already have laying around the house, plus I won't be modifying a $200 piece of equipment lol.

5. zcparrott

Oh, and what is GAC?

6. Ehnohsee

Ehnohsee Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Granular Activated Carbon

7. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

I assume you don't have a sump?

I wouldn't bother modding the Penguin into a fuge.

You didn't say how big your DT is but I'd suggest modding the wet/dry filter into a sump OR simply go by a 20 gal (or the biggest tank that fits in your stand you can afford) and getting some glass cut (or do it yourself) and getting the sump all set.
    You can make a section in the sump for a fuge, big enough to have an effect on nutrient export.

Also, I'm wondering if Mr.Bill was intending to say GFO instead of GAC.
    GFO (Granular Ferric Oxide) is what is best used for nutrient (phosphate) removal\absorption.

8. Click Here!

9. ontop27

ontop27 Ritteri Anemone

I have the santa Monica up flow scrubber for sale that would do the same thing in less space :)

10. zcparrott

My DT is 55g, and the only room I have left under my stand is a 18x13x18 space (LxWxH) so I'm not even sure if I can fit any tank with enough usable space in there.

I am probably going to just try the HOB fuge and see if it works out, and if it doesn't, at least I haven't spent any money yet. I'll update this thread once I start modifying the powerfilter.

Thanks for all the suggestions though, I'll keep them in mind if it doesn't work out.

11. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Nope. I've always used GAC, but I've never had GFO.

Nitrate is the end result of biological activities. You feed live critters, Nitrate level increases. Phosphate is an introduced impurity with which I've never had an issue.

While GAC doesn't actually export nutrients, it does remove dissolved organics that would otherwise be metabolized into Nitrate. It also absorbs other impurities, both organic and non-organic, that a skimmer won't touch.