Hmmm...i want to breed some cichlids but i've never done it before....ADVICE?

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by CUCCI-WALDRON, Mar 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CUCCI-WALDRON

CUCCI-WALDRON Astrea Snail

:-/
    my husband is buying me a 75 gal tank for my b-day and i was contemplating on making it a breeder tank. I have no idea how to breed, i just thought it would take up some of my free time. My hubby wants to put africans in it. I would too because they are so pretty but aren't some kinda demanding when it comes to the water parameters? I have only had experience with south american cichlids and other amazonian fish. Need advice on what type of cichlids are easy to breed.
    Any help would be appreciated!

Natalie:p

2. Click Here!

3. Guinness0052

Guinness0052 Plankton

I just replied to your old post asking about tanks and what to move where. Africans aren't demanding at all. I would say the opposite. There is more to know about Africans....but not demanding. Check your other post. I am not sure how to merge these together.

4. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

I had some red devils and breed them they are a hardy fish but wouldnt have cept one male and three females...then he will breed....the males look good with the nuchal hump....aggrsive fish though............

5. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

black convicts breed like crazy but I would not waste your 75 on a breeding tank.

Use the 75 as your display tank and get a 40 for a breeder.

6. CUCCI-WALDRON

CUCCI-WALDRON Astrea Snail

I HAVE A 150 GAL IN MY LIVIN ROOM....I REALLY WANT SOME BABY OSCARS. I FOUND SOME WILD CAUGHT OSCARS FROM ECUADOR THAT I WAS PLANNIN ON BUYING ONCE I GET THE TANK SET UP. THEY ARE SO CUTE! THE LOOK LIKE THEY HAVE A LEOPARD PRINT PATTERN GOIN ON! LOOK @ THEM ON THIS LINK
    AquaScapeOnline Specializing in piranhas, stingrays, cichlids, plecos, catfish and rare oddball tropical fish.
    I HAVE FALLEN IN LOVE WITH ALL THE OSCARS THEY HAVE TO OFFER...I JUST WONDER IM A LIL WEARY OF THEM B/C I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THESE COLOR VARIATIONS BEFORE.

7. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

more than likely a tiger oscar. They dont look one and the same always with various stiped design....even in one family they look different. I have had many oscars and are awesome fish. After the got mature I feed them and my red belly Pacu's floating dog food and brother did they get huge fast and spawned like alley cats...good luck. Oscars also have a neat personality if you get them young they will let you hand feed them.....

8. Click Here!

9. LpSman185

LpSman185 Plankton

I have both south american and african (Malawi and Taganyika) cichlids and out of the 2, the african cichlids are much easier to care for. The only real paramater difference is the Ph and the supplementation of the lake salt. While the Malawi Cichlids are more visually appealing, the Tanganyika cichlids are very very easy to care for. Just give them plenty of caves!

10. cwick22

cwick22 Plankton

I just found that my bumble bee cichlids spawned a baby fish. I wasnt even trying to get that to happen so i guess they're easy.

Should I seperate the baby from the others?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  11. blibo

blibo Astrea Snail

In general, Cichlids are easy to breed. If I were to choose either African or south American, I would choose African because there are less preparation for successful breeding and they're more colorful. Especially the mouthbrooders, so there's less chance of the baby getting eaten. Just look for a local breeder. They'll give you a deal for less than $1 a piece depending on then type

12. tank addict826

tank addict826 Plankton

i have a african cichlid tank and i have had red devils breed like rabbits. also a succcessful breeding fish is the acei.there a beautiful fish and are always fun to watch.