HITCHHIKER

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by JOER0178, Feb 23, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JOER0178

JOER0178 Peppermint Shrimp

I found my first hitchhikers this weekend. I found a dozen or so feather dusters. There really tiny does anyone know if they will grow to the size of the featherdusters sold in stores. Also I found this worm like thing crawling on the rock going in and out of holes. It looks like a centipede (it has alot of legs). Is this a good or bad hitchhiker??????

2. Click Here!

3. Speedy

Speedy Fire Shrimp

Centipede? Is it red or pink? It might be a bristle worm---bad. The little dusters, mmmmmm, doubt they'd grow as big, but you will see them for a while and they are a sign that your tank is doing good. You will find all sorts of life growing off of your rock. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

4. JOER0178

its a maroonish brown color w/ grayish white legs, its kind of slow i think i can catch it w/o messing the rock up.

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I wouldn't say Bristle worms are bad. They may be bad if allowed to become monsters but most Reefers don't even know how many they have or how big they are.
    I have seem pretty big ones in my tank and nothing has ever been harmed by them. I have 3 clams very close to the sand bed. All three are doing great, no worm attacks.

Please if you know a reason why they are to be considered bad let me know

J

6. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Not to contradict David, but at a recent SEABAY meeting in the S.F. Bay Area, Anthony Calfo said that all polycheates (worms) are pretty much reef safe. Bristle worms and fire worms are both important scavangers and detritous/sand stirrers for the reef.

I agree with David that the little dusters you find in the rock generally won't exceed a quarter in diameter.

Coll stuff!

7. JOER0178

I figured they wouldn't get bigger but I had a glimmer of hope since they have the brown and white circles on the feather part like the larger dusters do

8. Click Here!

9. Speedy

Speedy Fire Shrimp

Hmmm, sorry I just hate the Bristleworms. Accidently touched one once and >:( [smiley=pissed.gif] [smiley=shout.gif] .

To say the least it stung for a week.

10. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

As with all polytoxins, some people are more allergic than others. That's why I wear gloves in the tank.

11. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

i agree on the bristleworm thing if you got one you probably got lots more. they multiply fast but are great scavegeners when they do go after someting its usually alredy dead or dying anyway. they do not go after healthy living creatures.
    the feather dusters may get the size of a quarter or so but not like the hawaiian feather dusters. they can multiply a lot but there good to have. this is an older pic i havent updated in quite a while but take a look to the right of the halmedia plant u can see all the dusters. i only started out with a couple dusters

12. JOER0178

I found some new hitchhikers this weekend 2 aiptasia which i can work on getting rid of and something else I can't ID they are a redish rust color and they look similar to a featherduster they have a tubeand at the end a cup w/ a halo of short tenticals and they can retract into the tube like a featherduster does. they look sort of like a margarita cup w/ short tenticals at the end