Resolved Hitchhiker crab red lines on top of head?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Magnus, Jul 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hddoutside

hddoutside Fire Shrimp

may not be the same but look at the similarity. black tip pinchers, striped legs, same angry looking body shape. not all are going to have the same coloration then the next.

2. Click Here!

3. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

You're right! I've come to the conclusion that this is some sort of Xanthid crab. The problem is that he won't come out of the rock for any reason whatsoever! I know exactly where he lives and for the last 5 nights I've been baiting the glass and setting it at different angles and he won't come out any further than touching the glass with a couple of legs, then he gets back in the hole!
    It's frustrating. I need him out of there and in the sump. I'm not willing to risk it.
    Any other ideas that do not involve buying a trap? I think this crab is aware that I'm trying to catch him and mocks me every single morning when i wake up to a glass full of hermits and nassarius snails :( :(

- Mag.

4. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Finally caught the Hitchhiker!!!!

Well, I finally caught him, but still don't know what he is exactly.
    Here are some pictures for the record. If anyone finds or figures out what exactly is he, I would appreciate it. We somehow narrowed it down to some sort of Xanthid crab. He's currently residing in the fuge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!

- Mag.

5. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

6. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Thanks!! It did take a lot to get him. I tried many things, but it wasn't until the deli shrimp in the cup that I got him.
    I also had to turn all my lights off, even my moon lights, since with them on, he would just go in the glass almost all the way in, to the point where only one of his legs was holding him, but then he would freak the heck out and run back in his cave like a fast track runner. I've never seen a faster crab.

So, if anyone needs to get that seclusive crab out of their hole, the shrimp + glass + lights off worked for me. Give it a try!!

- Mag.

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Congrats on the capture.