High phosphates and nitrates

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by beamer, Jun 5, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

2. Click Here!

3. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

Wow!!!What a phenomenal tank---and no water changes?? Awesome. Could mine be set up like that as well and if so how? I didn't know you could do that.

YOur tank really is beautiful inside and out. Wish we could see it in person. Thanks for sharing your pics with me.

How do you like having an acrylic tank vs. glass. In the beginning I was leaning more towards acrylic and just about everyone talked me out of it because of the expense and the fact that it scratches so easily. How do you care for the tank so the tank doesn't get scratched? If I ever do get another tank I think it may be acrylic.

Thanks,
    Cindy

4. mojoreef

mojoreef Bristle Worm

Thanks for the kind words Cindy. On the water changes you really need to have the water processing equipment that I do to avoid them so I dont recommend that for the vast majority of hobbists. With the kind of plumbing I wanted to do glass was not an option, but i do like acrylic on a whole, yes it scratches but they are very easy to remove if it happens.

If you decide to go with fine sand again, you will run into this problem again Cindy, it just doesnt have the processing capability that you are going to need in order to keep the ammount of fish you have. Their are some things you could try to help it along, but no garrantees

Take care

Mike

5. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

Thanks,

Everything you say makes sense.  My huband especially wants the sand and I agree it looks nice and gives the sand critters a place.  And we may again in a couple of years have to change it out. Maybe by then we'll be ready for CC . People I've been talking to don't seem to have a problem with the sand. I understand that I have too much in my tank, I didn't put it there though so I'll do my best with it. I don't remember if it was you are someone else said that I probably shouldn't have more than 7-8 fish for my tank size. That is'nt very many. If there were people around here in the hobby maybe I could sell a few to help decrease the bioload. OUr little LFS doesn't do any trades.  

I do appreciate the advice and am always open to more. There are so many different ways to do things that work and I just have to make a decison on which way I want to take it.

Again, such an awesome tank!  Does your wife share this hobby with you?  I was hoping that this would be something my husband and I could share together. So far its much more me than him.

Cindy

6. mojoreef

mojoreef Bristle Worm

No my wife has no interest. Kids do though so that i fun with them. On the ammount of fish, that is according to Dr.Ron and Dr Rob toonan (the two big pushers of DSB's).
    take care and good luck

Mike

7. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

Mike, I forgot to ask, why are you changing out your bed? Will you replace it again with CC or what do you plan on doing?

Cindy

8. Click Here!

9. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

I'm actually worried about putting 4 fish in an 80gal I am setting up. After you minus out the volume of the rock and the sand it's about 54gal of water, plus the 20gal sump. Not very much!! :(

Oh well!! Sounds like you guys have formulated a very good plan that is doable without tearing out your hair, and will allow you, Cindy and Hubby to enjoy the tank.
    ;)

Good luck!!

Great tank Mike!! I have seen that article before and wanted to show it to my girlfriend but managed to forget where it was, so thanks for the link. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

10. mojoreef

mojoreef Bristle Worm

Cindy my tank is Bare bottom. I had the CC in it for about 4 month and then decided t remove it them. The bottom now is covered in layer onto of layer of corraline algae. The reason I am breaking it down right now is to get rid of some rock and to put a little gadjet in I came up with. Some of my rock is over ten year old, so time to boil it.

Mike

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Wow, mojo, saw your tank on R/C didn't know that was you! Too cool. It's amazing. I'd never leave the house.

Your case for CC is pretty interesting. I don't here many for CC these days. It obviously is working for you.

@Beamer, I just got up, have I asked what grain size sand you have? This it out of curiousity. I seem to be in the minority in that I don't use fine sand. I use 2mm-4mm stuff. I find it easier to siphon if I have too, and some people say it diffuses stuff better.

I think some people get too hung up on substrate, it's just one piece of the puzzle I like to say.

Have you explored other options regarding your phosphates and nitrates? I hate pushing chemicals, but 12 years ago or so I used Phosban on my tank in college and that seemed to help. Of course this may not shut off the source of phosphates, but it may keep them in check. Please get other opinions on this, as my experience was limited.

matt

12. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

I'm not sure, mine is probably more like 1-2 mm in size.
    I am using the phosban and Kent's nitrate sponge. I don't think anything is going to do any good until I change out the sand. Now I just have to decide for sure what to do in the way of substrate.

One on RC said they really liked going bare bottom but using ricordia ,polyps, etc to cover the bottom. That doesn't sound too bad. I can't remember, ya'll may have already suggested that too.

I would still like a little sand. I don't know if you can cover the bottom with a little sand or cc and still lay out a carpet of corals. Would you still have to siphon it every week. I would like to get away from as much maintenance as I can. That leaves more time to enjoy the tank.

Cindy