High nitrates but corals are thriving?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by lionfish77, Apr 5, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CrashNT

CrashNT Astrea Snail

Agreed. Also, If big water changes are not your thing(I know its not mine) then I would look into adding more macro algae as they consume no3 to grow. DSB, plenium box and mangroves are also some other natural no3 reduction techniques.

I wish you luck, with whatever you decide to do

2. Click Here!

3. pete33

pete33 Astrea Snail

I would suggest double checking with a more accurate test kit. I'll bet you aren't at 40. The only thing that API test kit is good for is to show if you have nitrates or not.

4. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Agree, kits aren't very accurate. If your tank is thriving though, it's tough to argue that you should worry much about it :) I don't actually remember the last time I tested N though. Algae is usually a better indicator of a problem then test kits IMHO. If the tank is happy and I'm not having issues with algae, then I don't usually bother... more likely to cause headaches than actually solve any issues at that point....

5. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Let a mass of chaeto grow in your sump, and try and eliminate any nitrates factories in your system.

Are you saying that they were also at 40 before you went on your trip?

6. lionfish77

lionfish77 Flamingo Tongue

No not 40 but they do get very high and jump quickly. Does anyone believe I should have this high nitrates with my bio load and filtration?

7. lionfish77

lionfish77 Flamingo Tongue

I bought a green torch coral yesterday fed it put it in the sand and it is wide open and looking nice. If i had high nitrates would it even be open?

8. Click Here!

9. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Softies in my experience don't mind "dirty tanks" they actually seem to thrive. It is when you add SPS you have to worry about this.