High Calcium & Low PH !??!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by bc219, Nov 1, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

The kalk will not increase Ca that incredibly, but in your situation, at this point the best thing to do to get everything closer to where YOU WANT it I would do a decent sized w/c w/ RO water and get things back on track. Honestly I wouldn't sweat your levels one bit but thats me bc219. What salt mix are you using again?

2. Click Here!

3. bc219

bc219 Millepora

I use instant ocean salt. I've done two 15gal water changes since I started this post and the only thing that's gone down is alk and ph. I've never had anything like this happen since I set up the tank almost a year ago. What made me start thinking something was going on was my xenia stopped pulsing, well, barely pulsed. I then checked all levels and found pH was low, then the other day noticed xenia was pulsing even less, and the pH was even less too. I don't know why xenia quits pulsing, maybe you do, but I thought maybe the pH had something to do with it. After adding a bit of the baking soda (before you said not to) the xenia is doing better (but not great). Everything else seems fine, as a noob though, and everything says ph should be 8.2-8.4 I started freaking out... I'll do another 15gal water change this week unless you think it should be more (75gal with a bunch of live rock).

Thanks!

4. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

To answer the xenia question, no one is 100% sure why it pulses, some say to gather food, some say as water quality indicator amongst others, I've never had luck w/ xenia, my tanks are always too "clean" where as I've seen tanks that are covered in algae and xenia thrives.
    To answer the other question IO typically has low levels in most every category. Doing a few more changes should lower the Ca and kH as long as you are not using tap which could contain both. 8.2-8.4 ARE OPTIMUM levels for pH but many a fantastic tank have levels that differ from those. Higher pH tends to help corals lay down their skeletons quicker and increases calcification. I would shoot for a good 25% w/c or maybe 30% to bring the levels down a bit.

Good luck

1 person likes this.
  5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

This is why I don't post on these typs of threads in public anymore , Like a bent shot gun with # 9 bird shot its all over the place . What % of you DKH is made up from Borate's ? Its more to DKH then baking soda cooked or raw LOL

6. infamous

infamous Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Try doing a water change. That will usually restore the proper ionic balance.