high alkalinity

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by paint4food, Mar 21, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. paint4food

paint4food Plankton

55 gallon reef ,30 gal refugium my mag, calcium, and dkh levels have been very high for a long time now. did a bunch of water changes because i thought that was the solution, but it has dropped calcium to about 490 but the alkalinty stays about 15 and mag of the chart up at 1800-1900. red sae coral pro salt is what i have used for months but is that salt to rich in buffers that my tank doesnt use them fast enough,, who knows so this morning i went and bought a cheap bag of salt instant ocean mixed up 2 gal ro checked salinity at 1.025 for the heck of it checked the dkh 18 drops! so i mixed up 2 gal ro of red sea coral pro checked dkh 12! lots of life in the tank but it needs to be in the correct range any ideal just keep water changing and throw out the instant ocean is all i got

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

it's not just the alkalinity; you're very high on it all...

Are you topping off with SW?

What is the SG of the tank?

I recommend changing out some saltwater for freshwater. You undoubtedly have too high SG.

To be honest, I got a little lost with all the missing punctuation so I'm not exactly sure what you're saying or what you're asking...

4. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Lol, sounds like either not using a refractometer, or reading the test kits wrong.

5. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

the easiest way I have found to reduce CA and Alk is to let the system absorb it vs changing the water. when mine was that high, just letting the system absorb it dropped it naturally and it was free to do. what is your PH? a Very LOW ph can cause the calcium carbonate to dissolve into the water and raise the alk and ca. but that is at 6.5 much like a Calcium reactor.