Hi question about led

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by hectat2, Mar 13, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hectat2

hectat2 Fire Worm

Another question how I get the best grow and color with this led and how I a climate my corals

2. Click Here!

3. Chuck Warriner

Chuck Warriner Plankton

Anyone know if there is information as to how much light is too much? I have a Nuvo Micro-30 tank, with a Current USA Orbit Marine LED light on the tank now, but haven't seen any information as to the intensity of this light (not that I would know if it was good or not). I have several soft corals that all seem to be healthy, but they don't seem to be growing. I am new at this hobby, and hungry for any information I can find as to providing the best atmosphere for my reef creatures. I like the light... it's fully programmable, and has preset cycles for normal day to day mode, as well as a mode for coral acclamation, and another that I haven't really looked into yet. I contacted the manufacturer, who told me that this light should be sufficient for any soft corals. But a local shop told me I might need to add another identical light, or replace the light I have with one of the newer setups with UV, etc., but that I would probably only be able to run it at about 10% capacity. Another shop told me that I should wait a few more months to see how things go before I do anything more. I got a new protein skimmer set up last week that, after 3 days, is already pulling some good crud from the water. I have coralline growing ALL over the tank... on all of my live rock, snail and crab shells, even on my Gyre pump. So I would say things are healthy and stable... just too impatient?

4. hectat2

hectat2 Fire Worm

How old is ur tank

5. hectat2

hectat2 Fire Worm

I running now a t5ho 4 bulb and I have mix reef tank is 26 gallon with 10 gallon sump till tomorrow I go to get my razor but mi light look to working fine for now

6. Chuck Warriner

Chuck Warriner Plankton

Boy, there seems to be a LOT of conflicting information out there on acclimating corals into your tank. Some say just take them home and put them in the tank. Some say they need to sit on your sand bed for at least a week before you move them to where you want them, but others told me they have never heard of doing that. The last shop where I bought some frags said to float the bag(s) in the tank for about an hour, open the bags and add a few drops of Coral Rx, close the bags and float for another 10 minutes, then lift the frags out of the bag and place them where you want them. I think I did drip acclimation for my first frags... the same procedure for acclimating fish. I have done all 3 of these and haven't seen any difference in the results. And that reminds me... does anyone else add micro-plankton to their tanks?

7. Chuck Warriner

Chuck Warriner Plankton

It's been up and running for 4 months. I didn't start adding corals until about 6 weeks ago.

8. Click Here!

9. hectat2

hectat2 Fire Worm

I go to switch ligth tomorrow

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

It rarely hurts corals to keep them in the sand bed for acclimation, I have killed some corals by not acclimating them.

DSC reef likes this.
  11. Chuck Warriner

Chuck Warriner Plankton

Yeah, now that I think about it, I think the frags that I left on the sand for about a week have been doing better than some of the others, although they all seem to be healthy. I think the ones I put in the sand were also the ones I used drip acclimation for about an hour before putting them in the tank. I used to just pour all the water from my drip bucket into the tank, but someone told me that's not the best idea.

12. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Hectat, I seriously doubt it's your fixtures fault of corals loosing there color. Light is just one of many requirements to color/grow coral. A 4 bulb T5 fixture on only a 26 gallon tank will grow anything and is alot of light, especially with quality bulbs. Adding more light is only gonna cause bleaching. With marketing it's easy to get wrapped in thinking that the source of light is the only thing are beautiful corals need when in fact it's so many others. Now, the razor is fantastic and if you have money to burn the get it, I would. Just don't expect a miracle when adding it to your tank. There are many reasons as far as chemistry to why our corals brown and loose color so you might want to do a little research and find out if you need to dose or up your water changes to increase coral color.

Servillius and Corailline like this.