Hi, new here!

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by LisaD, May 20, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. LisaD

LisaD Astrea Snail

Thanks guys, you have a great community. Glad I stumbled across your site.

Johnnie Mac:
    I'd be happy to steer you to some good resources for seahorses. If you buy healthy, captive bred stock trained to eat frozen mysis and provide the right tank environment, seahorses aren't difficult. It just takes understanding their needs and selecting the right stock. Happy seahorses will breed in captivity, and while the fry are challenging and time consuming to raise, many hobbyists are doing so. I'm a moderator on a seahorse site, though not as active as I used to be.

I don't have a lot of time, with kids and more than a full time job. I have been home with a sick child mos of the day, so had some time. I will try to get good shots/description of my better tanks.

Most important for me, are natural tanks with skimmers and refugiums, shallow sand bed, lots of live rock, and decent lighting (in my case, right now, PCs). I keep some hardy corals in some tanks, but I mostly am fascinated by the fish, corals are an afterthought. I also like to grow different species of macroalgae.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Johnnie Mac

Johnnie Mac Bristle Worm

Thank you, I would definitely reach out when that time come. I am in the process of getting saved up for a 120 g reef set. I may just get a 55 to set up a seahorse tank...they are so fantasy like as well as majestic....

4. Kirklandp

Kirklandp Coral Banded Shrimp

I agree totally, I am in the process of setting up a micro nano 5 gallon for dwarf horses. Is there any way lisa that I might get your site?

1 person likes this.
  5. Johnnie Mac

Johnnie Mac Bristle Worm

Yea. I would like it also.

1 person likes this.
  6. LisaD

LisaD Astrea Snail

It's http://www.seahorse.org. I am LisaD there too (global mod). The Library is really useful for seahorse info. The community there is active and helpful.

The breeder that sells seahorses and also has an informative website is DanU on seahorse.org, and his URL is www.seahorsesource.com.

Johnnie Mac, a 55 gallon tank is a great size for medium to large seahorses. While it's usually recommended that seahorses be kept in a dedicated species tank, I've had many tankmates as well as non-stinging corals with mine. You could have several pairs of larger seahorses in a 55.

Kirlandp, a 5 gallon for dwarf seahorses is fine, but to be honest, I found this species (H zosterae) to be a lot more demanding than the larger ones. It's tough to balance getting them enough food and not fouling the water. You have to feed them live baby brine shrimp (BBS) so you are constantly hatching brine shrimp eggs. They ARE hardy, and you can keep the babies in the same tank with the parents and feed them the same food. But to me, they weren't as active and interesting as the other species, and the constant hatching got old. They are also very susceptibel to being stung to death by hydroids. It's hard to control hydroid population when you have a constant supply of zooplankton in the water. I don't mind growing live foods when raising fry, but to have it be all the time is exhausting! That's just my opinion. I know plenty of people that love their dwarves and that have great success without burnout.

HTH

1 person likes this.
  7. Triggerfish

Triggerfish Ritteri Anemone

Welcome to 3reef.
    I'm new too and just got a juvi emperor angel.

Last edited: May 26, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. LisaD

LisaD Astrea Snail

That is one of the best fish ever, IMO. :) Mine is an adult, and he rules the tank. Love the emperor angel attitude.

10. ssgheislerswife

ssgheislerswife Ritteri Anemone

Welcome to 3Reef! Love your pics!