Hi All Nice To Be Here

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Josh.Price, Oct 6, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

I think it would look really good as a reef tank (by the way, a reef tank consists of fish, corals, and inverts), but with that comes more responsibility (more water changes, strong lighting, like T5's, and better filtration)

2. Click Here!

3. Josh.Price

Josh.Price Plankton

Ok So What Equipment Would I Need For A Reef Tank any Possible Links Would Be Great Thanks and will it be expensive straight away ? As i say i was hopin to gradually build a tank up over a few weeks, rather then pay out for a sump refugium ect straight away. next on my purchase list was going to be a skimmer as everyonwe seems to highly recommend me getting one.

4. Josh.Price

Josh.Price Plankton

Hi Just A Quick Update As I Am Home I Have Just Done The PH Test, Amonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, and Water Gravity Tests. My Results Are as Follows

PH test = 8.3
    Amonia = 0
    Water Gravity = 1.025
    Nitrite = 0
    Nitrate = 20 -30 (Worrying for me)

I understand the test arent fully accurate but as a base guide until i get some more advanced kit, this is all i have got to go on.

My Personal Opinion as to why the nitrate levels are so high cud possibly previous owners using tap water to top up the tank ? ( any other possibilities are welcome)
    Also Any Help With Getting This Level Down Would Be Appreciated ?

The Light That Is Currently Installed Is A T8.

5. Camkha1234

I typed up a giant paragraph about what you would need and it didn't get posted :angry:

You can either do a DIY sump or you can buy your own, if that's what you wanted to do (highly recommended). You can put a refugium or an ATS in the sump, but you don't have to. They would help tremendously with the algae problems, though.

Since your lights are T8's, you wouldn't really be able to grow many corals. You could do T5's (If you want to save money, I recommend these guys: T5-HO Light), metal halides (I don't know much about them), or LED's (You can make your own for cheaper. I recommend these guys: DIY LED Lighting - DIY LED Kits - AquaStyle Online)

6. Josh.Price

Josh.Price Plankton

Hi Thanks For The Quick Reply Again, How would i go about making my own sump and what size would i need? Sorry for being a bit thick here but what is a ATS ? And I Would Prefer To Go With LED's So Can Keep Good Light Quality Aswell As Keeping Electricity Costs Low Haha.

7. Camkha1234

It's no problem ;) An ATS is an Algae Turf Scrubber. I don't know much about them, but there are a few threads on here about them.

8. Click Here!

9. Josh.Price

Josh.Price Plankton

Just Looking At Sumps What Size Would I Need And Which Would Be The Better Option T5's or The LED Option Lights?

10. Josh.Price

Josh.Price Plankton

Hi Just thought i would give you the picture of my tank, Same again any suggestions for improving it are appreciated :)

[​IMG]

11. Camkha1234

A 20 gallon should be sufficient. What sumps are you looking at?

LED's would save you more money in the long run, because they last around 15 years, while T5 bulbs last around 6 months. Some people just don't like LED's, though. It's your choice ;)

Did you move the sand bed at all during the move? If so, that might be what's causing the nitrates.

12. Josh.Price

Josh.Price Plankton

Think i will personally go for the T5 If Thats What You Say Is Best For Reef Tank, Will I Just Have To buy The Bulb For My Current Set Up Or Will I Haver To Get ANything Else And When I Looked on That Site It Gave Me Different Options For Bulbs Such as 6500K 10,000K Which One Of These Do I Need? Yes The Sand Did Get Moved During Transport :/ Will That Settle Back Down Or Will I Have To Take Action Quickly ? Sorry For So Many Questions Just Want To Make Sure I Do Things Right. Many Thanks