Hey guys new guy here

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by TonysReef, May 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TonysReef

TonysReef Feather Duster

Hey guys how's everything i just started a saltwater tank about 2 weeks ago...i just purchased around 15ibs of fiji rock and 45 ibs of vanuatu live rock. i hve a wet/dry system with a Protien skimmer..well over the past 2 weeks i have been taken readings as a dailly routine. first couple of days my lvls were sky rocket! well after a 2 weeks everything is perfect
    ammonia 0
    nitrate 0
    nitrite 0
    ph 8.3
    So i went to my LFS to pick up some damsel fish 2 4 stripe, (2) 3 spot and 2 yellow tails...just to add some color while i wait for my check next week....anyways my rock has been getting alot of color espiecally my vanuatu rock. alot of pink and green and maroon is started to show alot...anyway i can speed up the color process.Here are some pic's when i got them they didnt have alot of color especially the fiji.

Sorry i cant post pics up yet...as soon as i have permission i will...

Last edited: May 6, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. divott

divott Giant Squid

welcome to 3reef tony. sounds like a good start. and yes pics are mandatory. lol

1 person likes this.
  4. Johnnie Mac

Johnnie Mac Bristle Worm

Why do you want to speed it up .? Don't you want to enjoy the process.? but calcium will help the coraline a bit...

5. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Ditto...welcome to 3reef :wave: bump up the Magnesium too, that helps a lot!.....

6. Johnnie Mac

Johnnie Mac Bristle Worm

Oh. Sorry,
    Welcome .

Your gonna love this site .
    1) because of the usefull information and opinions.
    2)Great sense of humor (most people)
    3) THere are some of the most beautiful tanks to see here (I look at theirs so I don't have to look at mine) J/K it on its way...

7. vetteman

vetteman Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

if you dose it, test for it. Research about calcium and magnesium. Alk is also in this equation. Think of it as a see-saw. Mag on one side, calcium on other. If one goes up, other goes down. Try to keep balanced and stable.

8. Click Here!

9. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

I think you mean to say Alkalinity on one side of the see-saw, Calcium on the other, and Magnesium is needed to keep them balanced. ;)

1 person likes this.
  10. vetteman

vetteman Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Yep. Thanks for the correction!

11. DONFISH2

DONFISH2 Plankton

Hello and Welcome. I too am a new-be to this group...Looks as if your off and running to a good start. Keep up the good work...Oh yes this group does love having those pics up A.S.A.P.

12. TonysReef

TonysReef Feather Duster

thanx for the quick replys shows how much a reef community cares about a new member..thats what i do when i first join a forum see how long it takes to reply to a "newbie" looks like iam going to enjoy this place. And yes i have tons of pic's to upload once i get permission. This weekend iam going to purchase all of my cal,alk.mag test kits.
    and yes i do beleive it time. But some other side of me always wants to see some kind of +results. Pics will be up ASAP