Her's/His BC14's - Suggest a mate for a Mocha Clown - pg 9

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by sticksmith23, Nov 5, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Micro Bubbles?

I am having a problem keeping the 3rd chamber full enough so the return pump doesn't send micro bubbles into the DT. Does anybody else have this problem? It seems like if I feel the tank up full enough to avoid this problem, then water just spills over the back wall into the chambers. I think this is an older style biocube seeing as my other biocube doesn't have this problem, and has a slightly different design in the back 3 chambers.

2. Click Here!

3. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Bump for the morning crowd :)

4. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

Hmm. My biocube has about a 5 inch difference between the water line of DT and the back chambers. Could it be evap?

5. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

When you add water to raise the waterline in the sump you add it to chamber three right?

6. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Is that how it supposed to be done? I have been adding to the DT portion very slowly and watch the water line on the outside of chamber 3. I've heard of people running all 3 chambers full.

I guess I have more evap then I thought, but I have 2 biocubes and only have this problem with 1 of them lol. They are in the same room as well.

7. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

One thing to keep in mind with the BioCube chamber 3 is any fluctuation in water flow will show in this last chamber. I know my filter floss is getting full when my ATO is running like mad. Make sure everything is free and clear and you should be good to go. :)

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

That is what I thought. I just added filter floss for the first time the other day. I got tired of replacing the stock filters every week with a low bioload (2 small clownfish). I just took out the false bottom in the first chamber as well.

This may be a stupid question, but does filter floss absorb water over time? Could that be why my water level dropped? I only have problems with this one BC, and I added filter floss to the other BC at the same time as well. I haven't had any issues with it. I'm just confused as to why one would have problems while the other one doesn't. :confused:

10. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

My BioCube is funny sometimes too, I'll have good months and bad with water flow. I typically tear apart the back every month to clean out algae and other crap.

Here are pics of my current water levels. Hope they help.

Attached Files:

11. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Kind of hard to tell, but it looks like chambers 2 and 3 are around half full. That does help.

12. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

If you are not using bio balls make sure to disregard the Max and Min fill lines. I need to have mine be higher for my skimmer.