Her's/His BC14's - Suggest a mate for a Mocha Clown - pg 9

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by sticksmith23, Nov 5, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

That doesn't seem like a bad price seeing has the BC 14 brand new is $269 I believe. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to spend money on. I think it is a good deal.

2. Click Here!

3. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I think we finally going to add some live sand along with a little live rock! I'm so excited!!!

4. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Ok, I have some black sand on the bottom of one of the tanks now. My wife still can't decide what she wants to do. Oh well.

My question is, I want to get rid of the bioballs in the back, but what do I replace them with? Also, what is the best way to do this without causing another cycle?

5. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

6. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Bump again. Does anyone know what to replace the bioballs with? :confused: I don't really want to put a light back there for macroalgae as I have a really light bioload anyways.

7. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

I own a 29g Biocube. I replaced all of the bioballs with a nice chunk of LR which weighs about 2lb. I have chaeto algae on top of that, and a desk lamp with a 6500k bulb from Lowes shining through the clear back panel. Not sure if the biocube 14g has that. I also have my Slim Skim from Hydror in there.

So basically you just want to replace the bioballs with LR. Find a piece that will fit back there and you'll be good to go. But I wouldn't put any rubble back there, only a chunk of LR(you do not need macro algae growing back there. i never did for the longest time, only a piece of live rock and a xanthid crab that came hitchhiking when i started my tank)

The big thing about filtration is just having enough LR and good water flow. I get really nice water movement in my tank. 1075gph over all with my 1 powerhead and my water pump.

8. Click Here!

9. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I would think that live rock would be the same as live rock rubble because it will still trap detritus that will be hard to remove. :confused: I could be wrong about this though.

The biocube 14 doesn't have a clear back panel either, it is all black. I wish it was clear, I would macro algae in there for sure.

10. Ashevillian

The back panel on my biocube 29 is very small. I took a razor and scratched away, sure enough it's clear behind the black paint, maybe try that and you will be able to get light to shine through???

IMO rubble traps detritus a lot more than a piece of LR. I am able to lift and rinse that piece of LR and vacuum around it no problem. If I kept throwing rubble pieces back there every time I found one I didnt want in my DT, they would just sit on the bottom catching more crap. The LR in the back gets good flow around it, and it's a very porous piece. I was picky on the piece I choose for the back of my Biocube because yes, it's hard to clean and get back there.

If you don't want to put LR back there you can put a bag of active carbon and a few sets of long sponges to trap detritus, just make sure to clean them every WC.

I have all of that in the back of my biocube. (chamber 1 - water heater, 12" long 1" thick filter sponge | chamber 2 - skimmer, LR, chaeto, xanthid crab | chamber 3 - another 12" long 1" wide filter sponge, a bag of high grade active carbon, then finally and my upgraded water pump)

11. Ashevillian

Just installed LED's over my 29 Biocube -- everything looks soo amazing!

Thanks Ecoxotic sooo much for everything!

12. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Ok? I just saw this same post in the Ugly Sweater Contest thread lol. Feel free to post a pic here though or a link to your thread. I would love to see what it looks like. ;D