Hermit v. anemone and Starfish v nitrates

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by sharkyshark, Feb 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sharkyshark

sharkyshark Spaghetti Worm

We are getting lights in 2 weeks, the guy we ordered them from is in the process of making them (i think thats what the bf said). They wont make it that long, will they (I am gonna feed them 1x a day)?

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Well, if its not slimy and has no odor, you do have a chance. What is the output of your lights? What size tank?
    It really seems like your at a crossroads with what you want to do aquarium wise. You said it was a predator tank, but have starfish, anemone's, and corals. You have about a 3-fold non-compatability issue. Before trying to go to far with saving anything, I would try to figure out exactly what you want to do with the tank. Predator, fish only, or reef.

4. sharkyshark

what shouldn't get along? we've gotten everything from the same shop and talk to the same person everytime we go, they have "approved" everything we've wanted to put in as well and "disapproved" a million more things i've wanted to purchase....

5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

The stars will eventaully eat the zoa's and anemone. The trigger will eventually get the hermits and possibly the stars.

6. sharkyshark

haha you obviously haven't read my signature, my herm is the size of your fist and the trigger maybe 3 fingers lol and the zoas came with the rock

eh we'll see how it goes, we wanna add a blue face angel/6bar angel and a bamboo shark. the tank is 150 + fuge and we have about half the tank covered in LED lighting now and in 2 weeks going to upgrade (more lights per inch) and get the whole thing covered

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  7. sharkyshark

update: little starfish ate a piece of squid, big starfish didn't eat the squid, silverside, or shrimp. but he is moving a lot, sooooooooooooooo crossing my fingers
    also, the anemones ate and we'll see in the morning. but the starfishies look porous... anyone know what that means? or if its too late? ugh i feel so helpless

perams:
    Nitrites 0 Nitrates 10 pH 7.8-8.0 alk 300 sg 1.024ish ammonia 0

also, would buying a smaller high intensity light and placing the anemones under it work for the time being?

8. Click Here!

9. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

As stated in a few posts down, you have a big mix of tanks types. The trigger and lionfish are meant to be in a predator only tank, as they will eat anything that moves and can fit in its mouth. The trigger is aggressive and will generall attack anything that can't fight back. The star will eat soft coral and anemones.
    As far as the lighting, what type of lighting are you having made? You mentioned LED lighting, is that what you are having made? The important thing to consider about lighting is the PAR value of the lights. That is how strong and deeply the lights penetrate into the tank. LED lighting systems that have useable light is well into the $7-8k range, like the Solaris lighting systems. Anemones generally need strong metal halide lighting to survive. Feeding it meaty foods is actually feeding the symbiotic algae in its tissues, not the anemone itself. The anemone gets its food from the photosynthetic process from the zooxanthellae algae in the tissue.
    Now that said, 150G is not anywhere near large enough to hold saltwater sharks. For a babmoo, you want at least 250G since they produce a lot of waste, and need room to swim.
    The last thing to do is slowly raise your pH to the 8.2-8.4 range.

10. sharkyshark

thanks everyone for your input. I guess it's kinda up to our tank to see what it does, the pH level is as high as the test kit reads so i'm assuming that's the 8.2-8.4 range. also, no one mentioned iodine... did some reading and talked to an old friend at another LFS we frequent and seems to be a pretty important thing to have in your tank with starfish lol
    Everyone in our tank loves eachother so no worries on noncompatability, but thanks for all the responses. With the lion and the trigger we do still have our 3 original damsels and the starfish don't go near the anemones (they are planted on predator rock where everyone has their hiding spots).
    In defense of the 250gal for the shark, we are gonna get it as an egg and in the 2-3 years it does "outgrow" the tank, we will be upgrading. ::)

11. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

8.3 is the optimal PH for saltwater. Are you sure you have a saltwater test kit?
    Also, since you do water changes, don't dose iodine. A quality salt mix will contain all the iodine you need. Iodine can be VERY toxic if you even screw the dosing up SLIGHTLY. Like everything dead in minutes toxic. Just keep up on the water changes and you'll be fine.

12. sharkyshark

k, so i dosed the iodine last night, anemones shriveled and this morning the star fish seem 100x better, the big one (wouldn't even get his "stomach" out before) at a piece of silverside and they are starting to color-up more. Anemones are full and the tips have colored pink then brown to lt brown, the big "colorless" base one is starting to get some color around his base and the small one looks vibrant. (phew!)
    will continue to keep everyone updated, but for now, looks like they are in the clear. thanks everyone for the advice and concern.