Hermit v. anemone and Starfish v nitrates

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by sharkyshark, Feb 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sharkyshark

sharkyshark Spaghetti Worm

AHHH!!!
    1. So got a really cool anemone (tuesday) and I love him and the first night I had him in the tank, I think the huge hermit attacked him. A couple of his grabbers are cut and a few a shriveled, he looks really sad and hauled fanny across the tank in the night... so i put him on a rock and he's been sittin/chillin since.
    Q: is he going to be ok? is there anything I can do? should hermie be banned to the fuge? i feel like such a bad anemone mom :-/

2. one of my 2 ch chip stars has this little bump on his underside, and has been acting really wierd (he just sits there, moves very little) he is still alive tho. and looks like he is anorexic (i fed them both 2 days ago). the other one is starting to get the aneroexic look too, yet he is more active. did a 30% water change yesterday thought it might be because of high nitrates, going to do another one today and if need be another on sunday
    Q: are they going to be ok? is there anything I can do? :cry:

pics... anemone pic is a before the attack (anyone ID?) also couldn't get a good pic now b/c he's tucked all the hurt ones in

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

Some hermits crabs eat anemones for a living - such as the red hairy hermit. If you hermit attacked the anemone once it will do it again.
    By any chance had you just fed the anemone? Sometimes when i feed mine the hermits go mental and try to get the food from it, i just knock them away!

Chocolate chip star fish eat coral. If you have a reef tnak then they are not a good idea full stop.

4. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

I'd say you may have to Banish Mr. Hermy to the fuge. As for the Star, did they Eat when you fed them?

5. sharkyshark

yah i had just fed the anemone...... ugh i feel so stupid. he's gonna be a rock anemone from now on. no sand livin for him.

and no it's not a reef tank, it's a predator tank, so no corals for my starfish. do feed them shrimp, squid, octopus and smelt.

and yes both ate when i fed them. i put them both on the side of the glass and they have "races" lol

6. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

Ok, if you had just fed the Anemone, it may be just fine. If you see the hermit messing with it without food tho, you may need to throw him in the fuge.
    How are your levels looking? You may be right, the stars may just be stressed. Have they changed in color or any other behavior other than not moving?

7. sharkyshark

idk about the color change, the bf put moon lights on the tank so i really dont know what color they were lol

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

Oh, lol. Uh ohs. Keep an eye on the lil guys. I had a cc star that did the same thing. I dont really know what was wrong with him (even had a growth aswell) but he got better. I did end up doing several water changes tho. Good luck! Im givin ya some karma too!

10. sharkyshark

good to hear! ;D i love the little buggars and would be really upset if anything happened to them. :-/

Any IDs on the anemone? He does have little purple dots on each one of his tenticles.
    The LFS has 3 more @ $9 each and I really wanna go pick him up a brother. ::)

11. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

Hmmmmm. Not too good with Anemone IDs. They all look like cute lil squishies to me! Lol

12. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Anemone's will move to where ever they want to be, you can't really place them. Continually trying to move him will only stress him out more.
    What type of lighting do you have and how old is the tank?