Hermit(Mr. Crabs) vs. Blue Maxima (Tiny)

Discussion in 'Clams' started by 90_Berlin_joe, Jan 3, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 90_Berlin_joe

90_Berlin_joe Fire Shrimp

Just added my maxima to my tank and it seems that Mr. Crabs like to pick at it. Should I be worried and remove my crab or should they be ok in the long run?

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

What kind of hermit is it?

4. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Maybe the clams shell has algea goodness and he's having a feast. As long as he doesn't pinch the clams meaty skin, I wouldn't be worried.

If the hermit is a scarlett, be careful, I have known some people that have had issues with them eating stuff they're not suppose to! ;(

5. 90_Berlin_joe

Sacrlett is the beast well, Mr. Crabs just made my top ten list of DOH' why did i do that. He is now in my sump all alone. Anyone want a free crab?

6. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Yeah, I dont know if anyone agrees with me on this, but scarletts have been a problem around people I know. Once they get big, they will eat anything that can fit in their mouth and have absolutely no respect for corals, if it tastes good, he will eat it! I have had very good success with marshall island's blue knuckle hermits (electric blue hermits) and the red legged mexican hermits and blue leggs as well. Try those instead of scarletts, although, I have read that they are the best cleaners within hermits.

Right now, I'm keeping an eye out for hawaiin electric-orange knuckle hermits. I have read up on them and they are suppose to eat everything that's a pest including cyanobacteria!! :)

7. 90_Berlin_joe

Well looks like Mr.Crabs won that fight. Tiny is a goner, got home and he was sea food. No luck with my clams something besides Mr. Crabs is taking them out like Tyson in the ring.

Here a off topic question will a 12 dx nano support a clam to a certain point?

8. Click Here!

9. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I have 5 clams and a ton of hermits. I have even had a pistol shrimp and never once have I see a crab touch my clams (other than cleaning the shell) I would have to say the clam was dieing to begin with. Once clams start to decline all the scavengers come out to feed. They smell really bad when they die so that could have attracted the hermit.

Selecting a clam if tough but I have refused more clams than I have purchased just because the foot is damaged or the mantel is pinched. Or many other things.

Try a search and read up on clams and how to ensure you get a healthy one. It is key to keeping them long term

Sorry about your loss

Jason

10. AquatechNick

AquatechNick Astrea Snail

I have, so you may be able to as well if you have the 48 watt DX (the 1st gen did not).
    It is very possible but the likely hood of it growing considerably is slim.