Unresolved Hermit Krab Killer?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by SammyP, Nov 29, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Most damsels grow to at least 4" and 3 1inch damsels is still too many. liveaquaria stats the minimum tank size for one damsel is 30 gal. Most of the people at the LFS know very little about saltwater tanks and believe fresh water knowledge carries over. Salt water will not hold nearly as much oxygen as fresh water, so you run into low oxygen issues with too many fish.

2. Click Here!

3. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

My LFS guy is cool too, but he's in the business of selling things. That's how he makes his living and if he can sell you a bunch of fish, which will then die, then he can sell you a bunch more to replace them. Also, damsels are very territorial and just plain mean. You will start out with 4 and end up with one every time you try it because one will kill the rest, especially in that size of a tank.

Also, that size of a hermit crab will not be fine just picking off of the sand and rock, he will need to eat meat or he will kill all of your snails and eat them.

The people on this forum aren't trying to make money from you, and are interested in the well-being of your tank's inhabitants. Please take everyone's advice here (which is all the same so far) so that you can have a successful tank instead of wondering why everything you have dies and must be replaced.

Good luck!

4. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

Little OT, if a hermit was getting to big for your DT would you throw it in the sump or get rid of it?

5. SammyP

SammyP Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Man my LFS guy is starting to tick me off. I thought there was something screwy when he let me put 4 damsels in at 4weeks in and then acted surprised they dies... His only answer was must have been too many fish at the same time....lame

6. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Yip, I do. *maybe* one damsel and one goby or blenny. But that's it.

Yes, lame. They irritate me too. I was tricked too in the beginning. ;)