Unresolved Hermit Krab Killer?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by SammyP, Nov 29, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

But your tank thinks it has had that many fish. It is not stable enough yet that is why the fish keep dying. The tank is 6 gallons empty and at best 4 gallons with rock and sand. Only one very small fish will work in that tank and that is after it is cycled for while longer. There are many things that go into a cycle that you can not test for.

Good luck

2. Click Here!

3. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

What Corailline said. Even just 4 is way too many for that small of a tank, and with the fish and the deaths, the parameters are going to swing a LOT, especially ammonia. I'm 7 weeks into my latest 55 with 20 gallon sump & I just now put in 6 tiny hermits & 4 snails...it'll be several more weeks before I put a fish in it, and then just one for a while.

While you're waiting for your tank to stabilize, get that killer crab a couple of bigger shells to try out. ;)

4. SammyP

SammyP Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Um k i almost feel bad for wanting to get rid of it, the thing that sux is that i like the shell its in and i want it to stay in that shell is it possible that once the crab has gone into another shell that it will return to the shell it is currently in?

5. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Not really, no. See if you can find the same kind of shell but larger. They change shells because they outgrow the ones they are in. Check at a crafts store like Michael's, they usually have bags of shells you can buy. Also, are you feeding him anything? If he's starving, he's more likely to kill snails.

6. SammyP

No I haven't LFS guy said he's fine eating off the rock and sifting the sand, other than the fish he had for dinner today, another fish on thxgiving day and a few other things if put in the tank i havent really fed them

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

i agree that shell is neat. Reminds me of bowser (mario)

You can have 1 fish in a tank that size. A 6 gallon tank is rather tricky... And not much fun if you can only have 1 fish IMO... You have more fish than that and you will have ammonia issues, fighting issues, etc.

Exactly.

I recommend, for the beginner, the API test kit sets called "Saltwater test kit". You can usually find it for around $20 on ebay and has the main tests you need - namely, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. You'll also want to monitor pH and phosphates.

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

also, remember it is best to assume the LFS is a liar and just after your money... they will generally say anything to sell anything. I am quite sure he would've sold the shrimp even if he knew it was for you.

10. sharoleb

sharoleb Bristle Worm

I bought my API test kit from lnt.com Great price and only 0.99 shipping.

11. mazaj

mazaj Feather Duster

one thing to know about Damsels is they are territorial and each fish needs a cave to sleep and hide in. and Domino is 1 of the most mean damsels and he will fight with any fish, even slightly larger, to get his home. i had 2 yellow tail damsels b4 adding the domino and he kicked them out of their home. if you do not have enough hide out in your tank your fish gonna kill each other. or even die from stress of being homeless. just my $.02

12. SammyP

Interesting i wouldnt have thought of the home situation and also thanks for the help on where to get a nice test kit

Peredhil - you really think i will only be able to have only one fish??? LFS guys seem cool and all say i can have 3-4 small fish like damsels