Hermit Crab Mortalities

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by szaijan, Jul 6, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Is It? hummmmmmmmmmmmmm Do you think they feed on the same thing? LOL ;) ;D

2. Click Here!

3. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Oysters. Probably do!

John

4. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

I think most do but not all ::)

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Where is your Live Rock from?

6. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

John

Now, I'm talking about snails and Gillian both eating oysters. What are you referring too? :)

John

7. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Yah Me too ;).......................... John

8. Click Here!

9. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Whew, for a minute I thought you were being disrespectful towards the crabs :)

John

10. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Who me ;D Never ;) ::)

11. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=fletch link=board=Inverts;num=1089141557;start=15#17 date=07/06/04 at 19:53:00]Who me  ;D   Never ;) ::)[/quote]

never say never my friend, it's almost the same as saying you'll call me LOL

John

12. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

What about these guys....I have read about them boring holes into clams......why not crabs if no clams are available...is this possible?

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fishnchips/sept99/fnc0999.html#Critter Corner

Bristleworms / Fireworms

Many polychaetes are carnivores or omnivores and have strong, chitinous jaws that can be extruded from a protrusible pharynx. The two main genera that cause trouble are Eunice and Nereis. Larger species can reach up to 20 inches (50 cm) in length. These large worms can cause a good deal of damage in the aquarium. They are recognizable by their pronounced body segmentation, parapodia and setae. They are mainly active at night and are usually added to the tank hidden within the live rock. Both Eunice and Nereis will feed on corals, clams and even small, sleeping fish.

The Fireworm (H. carunculata) also preys on corals, anemones, and clams and should be removed as soon as possible.

Order: Eunicida
    Family: Oenonidae

The polychaete Oenone fulgida eats snails and clams. Approximately 0.1 inch (0.25 cm) in diameter and 4 to 12 inches (10 to 30 cm) long, this worm is bright orange in color and secretes a mucus which it uses to trap and suffocate snails, eating the tissues when the snail dies. This worm attacks clams by boring a perfectly round hole in the clam's shell and feeds on the living clam's tissues.

The worm retracts into the live rock and returns to it's meal through the same hole or bores a new one.

A healthy clam can block the hole with a protein matrix and seal it with new calcareous shell. The clam, now weakened, eventually gets an infection and dies. This worm is common in live rock and the only way to remove it from your tank is to remove the rock it retreats into.