Hermit Anemones Safe for a tank???

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by 55gfowlr, Jan 24, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

Ok, so I've tried to read about these little guys everywhere, and so far all I've been able to dig up is that usually the crab the hermit anemones come with are not reef safe......But what about the anemone itself???

Decorator crabs usually host a hermit anemone, which can be predatory.....but what if the Anemone found itself on the back of sayyyy, a reef safe hermit.....would it be safe to put the hermit anemone in the tank....or what if it wasn't on the back of anything, but attached to a rock? My question is, is the hermit anemone reef safe, or at least safe to put in a tank? Just wondering of course.....::)

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

WELL THE ANEMONE IS FAIRLY LARGE AND HEAVY SO IT WOULD TAKE A DECENT SIZED CRAB TO HAUL IT AROUND EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE STRONG.Sorry for caps.Big hermits unfortunately as you know aren't safe.
    I would think if you tried to use a smaller hermit he would just ditch the shell for something less decorative/heavy.lol

I don't see why you couldn't keep one on a rock or empty shell as long as you feed it and keep the water clean.:-/
    P.S.Why are you trying to pick a fight with Mother Nature???Glutton for punishment???lol

4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Agreed, a smaller hermit would most likely ditch the shell and nem. OTOH, I don't think the nem would be any more hazardous than a BTA, LTA, etc.

5. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

lol, I know, I know.....I've been strongly against nems since the start. My wife has been bugging me to get one but I've always told her no. I came across this little guy and had an opportunity to rescue it, but before I do I would like to learn about them first.
    I see so many nems in other tanks and it leads me to believe that if provided the right environment they are very easy to keep and manage.

Yes, that was kind of what I was thinking, but so far all I could find for information was their symbiosis with hermit crabs, and a short article on their breeding habits.

6. Mr. Bill

Would you be interested in a tube anemone? Seems to me they would be the perfect choice for a reef tank. Just place in moderate flow and they're almost guaranteed not to move. :)

7. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

i have three all grouped up together and they are soooooooo trippy. keep in mind at night they extend further and can bother other invertebrates.

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Pics???;D;D

10. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

voila

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  11. Mr. Bill

Those are really pretty. Didn't know they came in different colors.

12. Vinnyboombatz

Those are awesome Swiss!!! Very healthy looking!!8)