herbal ich attack

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by DSC reef, Jan 8, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I think that was based on a study that garlic could cause fatty liver disease.Not sure of its validity.:-/

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

well, there you go, that was it - fatty liver disease but if the validity is in question.....I guess we all take in what we learn and make our own best decisions :)

4. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

I think the study regarding garlic and hepatic lipidosis was regarding CATS, not fish.

I asked Renee, and she reads the journals and books like Noga's like most peeps read comic books. She's not aware of another study done on fish, but that doesn't mean one isn't out there.

If there is a study, would somebody please share the title or a link?

5. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Let's clarify that a little..... I know cats get it because a friend at work had it and they were saying something about garlic. I don't know about any other critters. I've never read about it at all in any journal as I'm not very much interested in garlic, but prefer other enrichments. I too would love a link, as it would be another reason to kabosh garlic.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  6. PLyons

PLyons Astrea Snail

I just recently "beat" ich on my Yellow Tang. With assistance from everyone on 3Reef and a close eye on my tank I did not need to use any supplements. Unless a variety of foods, seaweed, and garlic are supplements.

My tang showed signs of ich almost over night and it got worse for a day or so. I immediatly started crushing fresh garlic and spreading it on Omega One seaweed sheets. I would let it sit for a while and then remove the garlic pieces. I also fed spirulina mysis, mysis, and brine.

In addition to that I also got a skunk cleaner. I know that they do not cure ich and in most cases can not pick the ich off the fish, but in my case this combo cleared things up completely in just a few days. For over a week now all my fish are happy and healthy. No ich in site and they are all very active and hungry. The skunk is also very entertaining to watch as he rides the fish accross the tank cleaning them. My tang will actually seek him out and wait for him to hop on for the ride.

I have stopped using garlic at this point as I too have read that there can be some issues with long term use.

Obviously each tank and persons situation is different, but I hope that this helps!

I have also read that it is impossible to rid the tank of ich w/o a very stringent qt period. From what I understand, once its there it will always be present, but a happy healthy fish can fight it off.

Good luck!