Help

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Scuba, Jan 24, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Scuba

Scuba Fire Shrimp

I have found a new invert on one of my LR's, it is making a tube and has a number of arms that come out about 6 inches and drags back sand. It is about 1/8 inch in diameter, and about 2 inches long.
    Any thoughts on what it may be?

2. Click Here!

3. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

I will supply you with the latin name Sunday when I get back to my library. It sounds like a Madusa worm, completely harmless.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I was thinking it sounded like a spaghetti worm. I think Phil posted a link to one in an old thread.. we had lot's of worm links on it, what was that thread? [smiley=stare.gif]

5. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Matt, we're missing a major tidbit of info for this ID, color. At that size, it sounds more like a Madusa, but, if the arms aren't clear, it's most likely a spaghetti worm (colorred with stripes)

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Good to know!
    Scuba? What color is it?
    [smiley=vulcan.gif]

7. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Most worms, polycheats, are harmless and good for your tank. Low level risk compared to hitch hiking crabs!

8. Click Here!

9. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Or hitch hiking mantis coverred in aptasia :)

10. Scuba

Scuba Fire Shrimp

It's arms are clear, and it's tube is getting longer. It now has a pile of sand under it about 1 1/2 inches high, it has been a bizzy thing.

11. Scuba

Scuba Fire Shrimp

Will Emerald Crab bother the worm, or should I not get the crabs.

12. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

My personal preference is that hermit crabs only go in my tank. Most crabs can become quite large and while they start out as algeavores, most crabs become meat eaters with age. This is the case with blue leg hermits.

Arrow, Emerald, and other crabs can get quite large and even attack your fish. I wouldn't get one unless you really like them. They are very difficult to get out once they go in, so be sure.

I have adopted the strategy of starting with small blue leg hermits and then when they start eating the snails and limpets, I ship them to the LFS in exchange for some of there smaller breatheren. At the point they become meat eaters they are creating a net deficit to the tank in my mind as they are adding to the bioload and feeding the algae while not consuming any of it.