HELP

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by 00nothing, Oct 5, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

OK I really don't know that much but is that a hammer coral on the left? do you think think the hammer may be stinging it?.................... John

2. Click Here!

3. markgsiy

markgsiy Astrea Snail

Hi Fletch, Just for your info, I don't think it is a hammer coral. It may look like one, but I doubt it.

Mark

4. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

It looks like a branching hammer from what I can see of it but!!!!!!!!!!!

( I have been wrong many times before ) LOL[smiley=grin2.gif] [smiley=hehe.gif]

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Looks like a branching hammer to me too. It's a Euphyllia coral for sure.

6. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Either way, it's surrounded by Euphyllias, so it would be just ad bad on both sides, which it isn't, so I doubt it's being stung. 8.6 ph might have something to do with it. You left out critical parameters, like alkalinity and calcium.

7. markgsiy

markgsiy Astrea Snail

Um.. Actually, I don't have an Alkalinity or Calcium Tester so sorry I can't help you there.

However, my reading of 8.6 might be off. This reading was about 3 hours after I added some marine buffer to my tank as its ph reading was low at about 8.0. It went to 8.6 (according to my test kit) a few hours after adding in the dissolved marine buffer stuff.

As for the Bubble Coral, I have not move it upward yet. I don't think it will like the strong currents above the rocks. However, I have started adding Iodide into the tank again as well as all the calcium, vitamins, etc... and it has started improving (not a lot and very slow). I stopped these additives due to an algae bloom that I was experiencing last month.

Anyway, I think my stopping of Iodide into the tank as well as my stopping of Calcium and vitamins has something to do with it.

Mark

8. Click Here!

9. markgsiy

markgsiy Astrea Snail

Oh.. regarding the branching hammer.. I thought this was like my greenspawn coral, except that it does not glow green under actinics like my greenspawn. When I bought it, the LFS said that it was not a hammer (it was not that expensive) but a cousin or something like that.

Who knows...???

Mark

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

[quote author=markgsiy link=board=CoralHealth;num=1097010812;start=15#15 date=10/11/04 at 20:11:02]Um.. Actually, I don't have an Alkalinity or Calcium Tester so sorry I can't help you there.  

However, I have started adding Iodide into the tank again as well as all the calcium, vitamins, etc

Anyway, I think my stopping of Iodide into the tank as well as my stopping of Calcium and vitamins has something to do with it.

Mark[/quote]

You should never add any supplements until you test for them. Too much iodine/iodide can kill your animals and without a test kit, you could very easily overdose it. Adding calcium supplements without knowing what your current alkalinity and calcium levels are is asking for trouble. You really need to invest in some test kits.

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Yikes!!!

Dosing Calcium or Alkalinity supplements (and your buffer would be an Alk supplement) is downright scary.

However, dosing Iodine/Iodate/Iodide is Terrifying. To reitterate what Amcarrig said please understand that Iodine is an anti-septic. That's why doctors used to put it on cuts before they found things that didn't burn so bad. An overdose can indeed kill everything in your tank.

Another thing to think about is the fact that bubbles (like several other larger LPS) need to be target fed in addition to sufficient lighting.