HELP Yellow Tang, Please.....

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by lissa, May 21, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Are you checking salinity with a swing arm hydrometer or refractometer?

2. Click Here!

3. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

should really bump slainity up to round least 1.024-.25
    but its not going to kill them , have you taken a reading for amonia ?
    other fish with signs of spots /stress ?

4. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Here you go Lissa:
    Not sure if it's definitely an internal infection, but if it is here's what you could do. Most PetSmart stores should carry it.

Maracyn-Two Saltwater
    Antibiotic (Minocycline) recommended for the treatment of Popeye, gill disease, fin and tail rot, dropsy, septicemia, secondary and internal infections. Contains B complex vitamins that stimulate metabolism to improve appetite.

Due to its unique properties, Maracyn-Two is absorbed by the fish through the skin. During the prescribed treatment, the concentration of Maracyn-Two in the fish fluids rises to a therapeutic level and is available to fight systemic infections susceptible to its action. Minocycline is a broad-spectrum antibiotic which has been shown to be effective against a number of pathogenic bacteria associated with ornamental fish disease. Maracyn-Two may cloud the water but will not interfere with the biological filter. New activated carbon or charcoal and a 25% water change removes any cloudiness resulting from treatment. Tablets should be dropped into the tank (not the filter). The tablets dissolve and circulate through the water. Use of a hospital tank is recommended. After treatment Maracyn-Two can be removed by water changes and fresh activated carbon.

Maracyn-Two is primarily effective against gram-negative pathogenic bacterial diseases of fish. Symptoms of clamped fins, general listlessness, not eating or other unusual behavior can be caused by internal infections and treatment with Maracyn-Two would be indicated. Maracyn-Two is recommended for the treatment of Popeye, gill disease, fin rot and tail rot, dropsy (swollen body, protruding scales), Septicemia (bleeding or red streaks on body), secondary and internal infections. All suspected bacterial infections should be treated immediately.

Active Ingredients: Each tablet contains 20 mg Minocycline activity; 15.00 mg Pantothenic acid, 8.60 mg Riboflavin, 2.60 mg Thiamine Mononitrate, 2.60 mg Pyridoxine Hydrochloride.

5. lissa

lissa Astrea Snail

I have been keeping the salinity low to ward off parasites and or ICK, this is what my LFS says they keep their stock at, and I should do the same.

Should I bring it up to 1.24 ?

6. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

As long as the SG is accurate, it's in a safe range. I'd go higher in a reef tank 1.024-1.025.

7. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Are you feeding him/her seaweed stripes? Luna

8. Click Here!

9. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

well it's of really no concern, the salinity on a "fish only tank" if you prefer to keep it at 1.021 , then no harm will come of it ( we reefers have to keep ours up higher for coral growth ).
    read bogies up there , looks like he dug up some info on parasite/ich

10. lissa

lissa Astrea Snail

11. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

IMO, the discoloration is food related and not water issues. Maybe a disease. Luna

12. lissa

lissa Astrea Snail

Yes, Nori on a clip 2" x 3" square every other day, along with Formula One.

I was alternating with frozen shrimp, but my nitrite went high, and went from feeding every day to every other day, and stopped the frozen shrimp.