help with zoas

Discussion in 'Coral' started by tgood, Oct 4, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

yes they look like they could be a mite because they're so small... i managed to get one large one the other day and it looked kinda like a spider. No inverts, but I plan on adding a fire cleaner shrimp and emerald crab/blue leg hermit in the future. Would that product contaminate the tank to the point that I could never add inverts?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

No not at all. It will kill all your pods though, and they will come back. If it looked like mite or spider and has an exoskeleton it's an Arthropod, Interceptor will kill them and is a really an easy treatment that will not affect fish or corals or inverts like anemones.

1 person likes this.
  4. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

Awesome! Thanks for the advice. I think I might try removing the frag and treating like I do with CoralRx because I'd like to keep my pod population up (keeps my clown fed in case I miss a feeding). But if that doesn't resolve it then I'll treat in the tank.

5. Corailline

Just remember you can easily re-introduce pods. You do a water change after treatment and run carbon and your good to go.

Another option would to dip the frags in Interceptor mixed with display water(let them sit for about 10 min). I imagine whatever little bugs you have will just reinfect the frags every time your return them to the tank so you might have to treat the frags several times.

I look through my book marks for an ID.

6. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

Yeah I'm assuming the bugs will be there as long as there are still eggs to hatch, hopefully I can keep up with the dips and get them before they lay more eggs. I'm just not sure what they are (I'll try and get a pic). So I don't know the lifespan.

Is dipping them every day or every other day with CoralRx a bad thing? That Rx definitely killed them off but I can still see the black specks on the plug and at the base of some of the polyps (thinking these are the eggs). I Was also considering scraping them with a scalpel when I have the frag out for a dip.

7. Corailline

Sorry not sure how often it's recommend to dip zoanthids in RX. You might have to start a thread asking that specific question if you can not readily find the information.