Help with this SPS?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by pez blanco, Jun 10, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pez blanco

pez blanco Fire Worm

2in10: Why is my SPS going to have a hard time with my shrooms, softies and LPS's?

Parameters: Cal: 540 Mg/L. This is too high? How do I reduce it to 400?
    pH: 8.5 (but not sure how accurate as I am using a pH Kit, not a specific alkalinity test kit.

In any case, I went out yesterday and bought: aquavitro Ca calcification and 8.4. and administered a dose of each last night?

Are these good products?

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Many soft corals use chemical warfare to have room to grow. In a closed system this is a big problem.

Do a 25% water change to get the Ca down some. You don't need to add the Ca calcification with your Ca that high. What is your SG?

4. pez blanco

pez blanco Fire Worm

5. pez blanco

pez blanco Fire Worm

SG is 1.024.

I JUST installed that Hamilton light system 20 minutes ago. I constructed a DIY stand to sit on top of the tank as you can see in the picture instead of hanging it from the ceiling. The 250W MH is now pointing straight down about 17" into the SPS. 2 T5's for actinic and LEd's for night time. Maybe this will make a difference as before I was just using 2 Coralife 150W clamp-on's in a weird angle.

In the original picture taken using my Iphone the anemones look alot cloiser in the background as there is no depth perception. The SPS is actually sitting by himself quite comfortably away from others. Maybe the bubble might be too close?

In fact, as I was writting this I just moved the SPS much higher up in the water column away from any mushrooms etc.

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Lighting change won't help until the water parameters are in line. Get your Ca down to 420. What is your ALK, I think I missed that?

7. pez blanco

pez blanco Fire Worm

I'm just using a pH test kit but mu Alk seems to be in line at 8.3-8.5.

Is there a specific test kit that just measures alk more accurately?

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Yes there is it is usually labelled dKH. Your alk can be way out of line and the pH just right. You will need to get that dKH kit. It is also called carbonate hardness.

10. pez blanco

pez blanco Fire Worm

My KH is only 60mg/L!!! Yikes. It should be in the 105-125 range right?

What is the quick remedy: partial water change?

11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Yes on both accounts. Make sure you add alkalinity booster slowly over the next couple of days. Keep testing each day also. Do not add any Ca booster until your number reaches 380 to 400 ppm.

12. pez blanco

pez blanco Fire Worm

Sorry, I forgot that dKH was another term for alkalinity.

I have some Kent Marine Superbuffer-dKH. I've just added the recommended dosage.