Help with Super Crocea (Page 2)

Discussion in 'Clams' started by Mobalized, Jan 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mobalized

Mobalized Teardrop Maxima Clam

Also any idea if the clam would get enough light in my 90 under a 4 bulb individual reflector T5. Centered 11" under water, 15" from the bulb. Reason I ask is cause I want to be prepared to move it in case my clown goby messes with it.

2. Click Here!

3. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

I have 5 clams right now and they are under T5's, on the bottom of the tank. My tank is 22" deep + the light is about 8" off the top of the tank so my crocea is about 30" away from the light and its doing great. I have 6 x 80w T5's with individual reflectors though. I tried moving my crocea and teardrop maxima higher up the rock work and the both kept moving down to the substrate so thats where I left them and the are doing great. If you watch them carefully you can tell if they are happy where they are at because they wont move.

4. Mobalized

Sounds good. Hopefully if I get the little guy he wont be bothered in the 29g.

5. Mobalized

So I have had the clam now for 2 months and she has looked absolutely gorgeous with great mantle extension. However today my girlfriend noticed that one half half of the mantle was almost fully retracted. I looked at it and it doesnt look good and am wondering if it is a pinched mantle however it isnt just a small area it is literally a whole half of it pulled in on both sides and the side that is extended isnt very extended. The only thing that has changed in the past day is a 17% water change on thursday and new GFO. I know that gfo can cause some issues if there is underlying pinched mantle but I am hoping someone with more clam knowledge can provide some insight.

6. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

A picture would help if you can get one.

7. Mobalized

I forgot to mention I will post one tomorrow, lights were out before I was able to

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Please check for Pyramid snails while the lights are out too.

10. Mobalized

I just looked didn't see any around the mantle or on the bottom opposite the foot but I can't see right around the foot the way its planted into the rock.

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If there was a large enough population to cause that type of mantel reaction you would be able to see them.
    No LPS like Euphyllias, Galaxy, Hydnophora.... are within reach? You want to watch for sweeper tentacles at night.

12. newguy420

newguy420 Skunk Shrimp

I have a crocea and when I first got it, I had it up high in my tank under a 250w mh. It was there for about 6 months and then I needed that space for something else. I moved it down to the sand bed of my 120g on a rock and I swear it never looked more beautiful!! The mantel extends out farther than I have ever seen it and the colors are amazing. I'm not sure they need as much light as you'd think. I think your 150w will be fine