help with salifert mag test kit PLEASE

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by ladwpwrkr, Jul 23, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ladwpwrkr

ladwpwrkr Fire Worm

Just got my salifert mag test kit and i need a little help. I went through all the steps with no prob.....until the final step :confused: I added (1 full syringe)1ml of regent # 3 to the test tube/water sample and no color change yet. SO my question is how much more of regent 3 do i add to the 1ml syringe in order to continue dripping into the test tube for the color change/reading??? Also, how do i determine what my accurate reading is once the color changes now that i have had to use more than the recommended 1ml?? Obviously my mag is not up to par, so once i get an accurate reading i will then be coming back for help with adjustments. thanks all!!!

2. Click Here!

3. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

I have that same problem. I added another .5 mm into the syringe. if the reading changes at .40, your only use is .10, which is an additional 150 ppms. So your mag reading is already 1500. Add the 150 and your reading is 1650.

1 person likes this.
  4. shoebox

shoebox Bubble Tip Anemone

I have used this kit multiple times and I had never tested water before in my life. Does your LFS test for mag. I had my store test it first then went home and did it with my test then started dosing for mag and testing on my own i will test later and post.

5. vankirk

vankirk Sea Dragon

If you did everything correctly, then your mag is over 1500ppm. This is what I would do if I were you to find out the exact ppm of mag. I would refill the 1ml syringe again with 1ml of reagent #3. Then add 1 line on the syringe at a time until the color changes to gray or blue. Then count the number of lines used. Each line equals 0.001 ml of reagent #3 and 15 ppm of mag level difference. So for example, if you added 10 more lines(0.010ml), thats 150 ppm mag. So add the original 1500ppm to 150ppm to equal 1650ppm.

1 person likes this.
  6. ladwpwrkr

ladwpwrkr Fire Worm

thanks for the help guys....im gonna give another go tomorrow and see what i come up with.

7. ladwpwrkr

ladwpwrkr Fire Worm

ok guys thanks for ur help......I procrastinated a lil bit, but finally got around to retesting my mag.... I came up with 1860 mag! could this be correct? and if so is it ok?

Other perimeters are:
    PH: 7.8
    Temp: 78.5
    Nitrates: 0
    DKH: 7-8
    CAL: 500
    P04: 0
    SG: 1.025

8. Click Here!

9. lynnmw1208

lynnmw1208 Skunk Shrimp

I didn't like the salifert kit. My mag reads 1500 at times and it is picked up on the red sea test kit while the salifert kept giving me completely off mag readings; usually said my mag was really low like 1100.

10. Ducksmasher

Ducksmasher Purple Spiny Lobster

yeah i came up with 2500+ mag once. I did some water changes to correct.

11. vankirk

vankirk Sea Dragon

Have you been dosing for magnesium?

12. ladwpwrkr

ladwpwrkr Fire Worm

Nope....I don't dose anything. Just water changes.