Help with purchase plans

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by tpasche, Jul 12, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tpasche

tpasche Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I upgraded my 46 bowfront to a 93 cube. I had a 36" 154w 4 bulb T5 but now realize that's not enough for a 24" deep tank. Was thinking about this guy but am not sure if it is enough. The aquarium dimensions are 30" x 30" x 24"

My future plans are to grow LPS, polyps and soft corals. Will this light be able to handle it?

here is a link to the light: http://www.marinedepot.com/Current_...xtures-Current_USA-CU04100-FILTFILDTN-vi.html

2. Click Here!

3. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

It looks like it would be enough, so long as the info on that site are correct. You may have a bit of an issue with the LPS unless you really get them high up in the tank. With their info on the light, LPS are only recommended in the top half of the tank.

4. tpasche

Thanks for the advice. I think that will be ok... im assuming thats what that chart means with the 24" depth?

5. Dyonopses1

Dyonopses1 Skunk Shrimp

I'd say your going to need more than one of those ....maybe 3.

6. mdbostwick

Yeah the chart is what i was going off of. And like i said, If it is accurate. I didn't read the entire page there, are they 3 watt leds?

7. tpasche

There is no way 3 would fit. Aquarium is only 30" long by 30" deep.

I really don't want to have to pay $500+ in order to have acceptable lighting.

8. Click Here!

9. Reefbuilder

Reefbuilder Scooter Blennie

I started with one of these and upgraded soon after. If you are going fish only and some softies it will be okay but on a tank as deep as yours I would not recommend them. I understand the not wanting to spend $500 on lights - but if you pick these up = then upgrade you will be over the $500 anyway.

mdbostwick likes this.
  10. mdbostwick

That is pretty sound advice. Softies will be your best bet with these lights. My prev post references using only the top 12 inches of your tank for LPS. Rock doesn't always stack as easily as you want it to for height. I have a 55g, 21" deep, and more than 110 lbs of rock and my rockwork may not even be 12 inches high.

I fully understand the cost issue and wanting LEDs for their longevity. Keeping in mind that LEDs last a long time with proper care, are these lights going to make you happy for 6, 8 or even 10 years?

11. mdbostwick

[​IMG]
    After taking a closer look here, the LEDs are 0.25 watt. which means if they are run properly they will actually be at about 0.125 per LED. These seem more of a Fish only or FOWLR fixture. I personally would not buy this unit expecting any coral to thrive.

Have you looked at Reefbreeders.com? Also if you search the forum here, There are many fixtures people have used with great success without breaking the bank.

12. tpasche

Bummer, Well i guess i'll have to stick with the T5 until i can afford one of the big dogs. The advice is good but my patience is bad- I'll just have to keep telling myself it's what's best for the reef...
    I'm trying to read up on the whole lighting thing but it's hard to understand. this will give me more time to read up about lighting and what to get. Thanks all.

: led, led lighting