help with new coral

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by m_lacom99, Oct 22, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Your meat eaters will eat whatever fish food they can catch. Some of your corals are night feeders so you might want to feed the tank at night about once a week...not an extra feeding mind you, just skip the day feeding and feed at night :)

2. Click Here!

3. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

Gotcha!
    Thanks!

Cindy

4. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

ok amcarrig... thanks alot...

The polyps do come out a little bit but never fully extend though and the coral it self never extended the way it was at the LFS. So I'll wait a little while to see what goes on.

thanks

5. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

amcarrig, here's another question for you. You say I really don't need to target feed everything,and I have been ,corals , fish everything. I want to be sure everyone gets something to eat. I use my turkey baster for everything. I use the Formula I and Formula II chunky frozen food. Looks like ground meat. I take a little chunk of each and put it in a little tupperware cup to thaw along with garlic oil and sometimes some selcon. Once it thaws I put a little tank water in it and fill up the little bowl (size of a baby food jar) and then I suck it up into the baster and feed just a little at a time so that they eat all or at least most of it before I give another squirt.

Is there a better way for me to be feeding them or for delivering the food? Again I did what the previous owner showed me. At that time he was feeding mostly the frozen brine and delivering it in the turkey baster. Sometmes with the turkey baster and the chucks of Formula I/II that I am now using, there are lots of tiny particles that may not get eaten. I've only been using these foods for about a month now.
    Cindy

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Well, I don't really see the need to target feed anything in your tank. I would just thaw the food like you usually do and dump it right in the tank. The only reason I could see for having to target feed fish is if you had a shy or non-competitive fish, like a mandarin or scooter.

I thought you might be feeding too much frozen food until I noticed that you kept anthias. I wouldn't mind keeping them myself but the feeding requirements are far too strict for me :)

7. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

I do have a watchman goby that I have to target feed but he's really the only one. So just thaw it out and dump it. Would certainly make it a lot easier. Do you dump all of it at one time or just a little at a time?

O.K. , so what are the feeding requirements for the ANthias? I just feed them like everyone else.

Cindy

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

The watchman should come out to feed. I have yet to hear of that kind of fish being overly shy. If he doesn't come out to eat, he will eventually when he finds out that it's the only way he'll get a meal :)

I dump half of the food on one side of the tank and the other half on the other side. Gives everyone a chance to get some :)

Anthias tend to only eat frozen food and from what I understand, they need to be fed more than once a day...something to do with them having a small stomach or something.

10. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

My anthias get fed once a day, they all do, I'll start putting something in before I go to work.

What do you feed your fish? Yours may be more tastie than what I am feeding.

Cindy

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Nah, if they've gotten by this long with only one feeding, they should continue to do well with no extras :)

I have and always will feed my fish nothing but flakes. I make it a point to not buy fish that have special feeding requirements because I don't want the hassles. Hell, I even got my pajama cardinal to eat flakes and I've never been able to do that before! :)

12. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

I thought flakes were bad for phosphates? Which type of flakes do you use?

Cindy