Help with my green Mandarin goby plz!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by saltydogg, Sep 6, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. saltydogg

saltydogg Bristle Worm

Yeah it could be the images.. but thank you for the links... Sry about that I guess I did t realize i was referencing the genders in my post, but i looked back & saw where I did. I try not to for this reason right here...again Sry & Sry to schmackel 2!

2. Click Here!

3. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

lol.......no worries. I do that all the time!!!!!

I really wouldnt do anything to the tank at this point other then water changes. Unfortuantely we will see quickly if it is in fact velvet. As Cheryl said, once velvet is seen on the body, the fish is usually dead within a day or 2. Now I have seen fish survive it.....there has been a recent outbreak of velvet in our area (1 store in particular) where peoples entire tank has been wiped out. The worst case i have seen was like a 500g tank wiped out except a few fish in his collection. He was ticked, all his expensive angels and rare tangs died, but his clown and his mean 8 line survived the infection. On a positive note, if it is velvet and fish survived then they will have a resistance to it in the future!

I do think the mandarin had ich and the symptoms of the black clown sounds like velvet. While it is rare for a mandarin to have it, it can occur That is why I think there is something else more serious going on in your tank. Patience and good vibes is about all that can work now

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  4. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

on a side note............this is why we all should quarantine our fish! I am as guilty as the next when it comes to fish, I do QT all my corals

5. hasek1639

hasek1639 Fire Shrimp

Hey all I will throw in some info. You have 2 big things that will deal death in that smaller tank. The long spine and nem would string fish and kill them. My LFS recently had a long spine that did just that. It would get close to a fish reach out and string it. the owner of the Long spine brought it in cause they were not sure what to do. The other big thing is the harli shrimp will feed on that long spine. Seen that as they will eat stars and urch's. If you really want a mandrian do your research and get an ORA one. Know you are going to be feeding it frozen 3-5 times a day in a tank like you have. Other wise goodluck. Its a beautiful tank so far.