Help with my green Mandarin goby plz!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by saltydogg, Sep 6, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Rock and a very hard spot on this one.

You can not QT that fish, the stress of a new QT and medication treatment IMO will kill very quickly.

What would eat in a QT? Would would make it though treatment with medications.

If I remember correctly Mandarins do very poorly when treated with cooper.

Good Luck.

2. Click Here!

3. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

I read recently in a book that mandarins cannot tolerate cooper as well as other fish. So you are remembering correct

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  4. saltydogg

saltydogg Bristle Worm

Well don't do tht! I guess kind of my fault on that LR comment... some of the rock was from the 20yr old established tank not all.some was dead... so any ways thanks for the input but I've done research & there's plenty of people raising them in 29gal-40gal nano tanks with plenty of success...

5. saltydogg

saltydogg Bristle Worm

Thank you.. from my research it all seemed to be OK & compatible...

6. GSUBiology

GSUBiology Feather Duster

I probably missed it, but how big is your tank?
    Also, I'm not sure where you researched this, but most people do not recommend having a mandarin in anything smaller than a 75G. Unless you have a refugium and feeding your tank pods very often, ( and he is trained to eat frozen). then there is the likelihood that your mandarin is starving to death. Even if your tank is very well established. Having a mandarin in a small tank is doable, but it is definitely not an easy task at all.

For a mandarin to get Crypto is really hard. Mandarins would be on the very least of my worries to get crypto in a tank. There must be something really off with your tank.

In addition, it would be helpful if you posted your water specs in here as well, and maybe some more info on your tank. Telling us that your LFS said it was ok is meaningless unless we get the numbers too.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  7. saltydogg

saltydogg Bristle Worm

Right now he has been eating all my lil serpent stars...& of course all of my astreania stars... however he will b eating starfish... some research says they will feed of algae & from sponge.. idk bout all tht... he is so cool!!

8. Click Here!

9. oyf709

oyf709 Bristle Worm

I have to point out that small tank do work with Mandarin but not recommanded to ppl that don't have much exp in them. My current tank running with mandarin 60g and they have been that way for over 6 months now and all 3 are no sign of "shrinking" (sign of starving). I also had a mated opair few years back in my 75g and even breeding in it. I think it is just matter of proper refrugium is needed to set up for mandarin. If you don't do it, doesn't matter how big your main tank is, you will run out of pods eventuraly. Mandarin does nothing but eating all day and without a "safe zone" for your pods, it can wipe out entire colony maybe in couple weeks. Using tigger pods helps but not a garuantee, simply because other fish go nuts on them also and mandrin can't compete against 99% of the fish.

Come back to your issue, I am wondering how do you introduce your new fish to the tank? Do you just open the bag and dump them all in? Do you do any type of acclimation (drip/bags in the water etc?) The main reason why I ask is that new fish that is "shock" is much more easier to die from stress and have ich issue

10. saltydogg

saltydogg Bristle Worm

I wouldn't think he's starving to death I can still see pods swimming In the holes & crevices of the live rock & they seem to b multiplying... from what I can tell & research it seems like it could b a case of VELVET in my tank... so does any one have an opinion on how to get rid of it? I don't want nething to die fish or corals if I can prevent it.... i am fixing to change all filters & do a 40% water change.. water parameters are as follow : 78°, PH 8.3 PPM, SG-1.023 AMMONIA-0PPM, NITRITES-0PPM, NITRATES-35PPM (a lil higher than normal)(still safe) KH-300+

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

IME the Mandarin looks skinny from the images and that looks like Marine Ich.

Velvet appears as the name implies, a coating of slime or mucous, not spots.

For a Mandarin to get Marine Ich it has to be very compromised.

12. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral