Help with mushrooms

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by jspicer16, Feb 28, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Don't agree with this at all. Light problems, too much or too little are always a coral issue. Sounds like they're splitting and running for their lives.

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Am following this thread, I would love to see my mushrooms spread.....any other thoughts on the iodine comment? Not the dip but to use iodine to increase growth?

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Not all iodine supplements are created equal or the right type of iodine. Lugols as I stated earlier is one of the best if not the best. Ideally you should always have a test kit for iodine because it can become toxic when dosed too frequently.

Some of the most prominent names in the hobby discourage it's use or communicate that you should replace iodine via water changes.

With all that said, I have seen some stunning mushroom and or zonathid dominated tanks the use it with great results.

5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I agree, you must use a quality supplement and test kit, and as James pointed out in his first post, only raise the level to that of NSW; an overdose will do far more harm than good.

In order to use water changes to replenish iodine/iodide, one must ensure that it's in their salt mix which is difficult at best using research. If one wishes to give it a shot, I'd highly recommend that you test your water first; if it is in fact in the mix, then obviously you won't want or need to dose.

6. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

i wish i could take credit for the use of iodine in light shock for coral Mr. Bill but it was from reading charles delbeck that gave it to me, first used on zenia coral that was melting and went on to acropora bleaching which was why i used it for the first time when i first got into the hobby acro was my passion and still is and as i used it for that i found it also worked on shrooms and zoas and it will also kill nudis on zoas without any damage to the coral it will also kill red bugs on acro and i have found it works atleast 80% of the time.

7. tank1970

tank1970 Bubble Tip Anemone

I wish I had this problem. I on the other hand can't keep up with my mushrooms they spread all over the place.
    A few things I've noticed
    #1 feeding reefroids will help
    #2 less light for duller sp.
    #3 more light for brighter sp.
    #4 they do like flow
    #5 blue spectrum lighting seems to work best.

These are just my observations in my aquarium.

8. Click Here!

9. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

I know right? There's a very good chance I won't do mushrooms in my dream tank.