Help with metal stand

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by thetman36, Feb 28, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jcoreyblack

jcoreyblack Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I surely wouldnt trust a metal stand thats constucted out of angle iron. square tubing with some gusits *sp would be the only way to go, as far as metal is concerned.

2. Click Here!

3. thetman36

thetman36 Astrea Snail

what is the dimension of that metal tubing SusiGirl

4. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

thet, one of my boyfriend's coworkers built it for us.
    If I remember correctly, it's 2" square steel, that was what my boyfriend asked for, anyway LOL.

5. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

If powdercoated, there is nothing wrong with a metal stand. That said, the stand you have sure looks a bit flimsy for that size tank.

6. Illusions

Illusions Flamingo Tongue

That metal stand will work, but only for a few years after the saltwater gets a hold of it. Do it once and do it right. Wood works wonders (also nice on the wallet) But a powder coated steel stand built out of tubing is unbelievably strong and will last decades.

7. thetman36

thetman36 Astrea Snail

i am going to scrap this one my lfs wont take it back he sent his custom builder to my house and insists there is nothing wrong with the stand. so i am out $250 good learning experience. I will look for tubular steel but if no luck I just build one out of 2x6 laminated beams. I just did not want to spend the time on the build because we just had a little girl. But I guess i am going to have to do the build after all. check out reefwerks facebook page. Jonathan stared a build thread for me there. I will keep you posted.

8. Click Here!

9. thetman36

thetman36 Astrea Snail

maybe The Grizz will come through for me!

10. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

he'll build you one, but the shipping will be a ton. I would look around NY for a good welder. itll be a lot cheaper. his stands are boss though

11. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

+1, look in the phonebook for a local welding shop. They'd be glad for some easy work, shouldn't cost much, would take no time at all for them. Then grab the phonebook for a powder coating shop and you're all set.

12. The Grizz

The Grizz Astrea Snail

E-mail sent to your inquiry 8)